Pens, sandpaper and CA glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I have been using the following grits of sandpaper for sanding my pens. 150 ( rarely), 220, 320, and 400. The 320 and 400 is a black wet/dry paper. I have been getting annoying little white spots in my CA finish. I read that black sandpaper lends itself to this behavior, so I switched to a yellow brand of 320/400. The first pen I used thenew paper on... NO little white spots. Which I am pretty sure was ca dust in the finish. Anyway, my question is, did this switch fix my "white spot" problem? Or maybe I just did something a little different this time around? Any ideas. Here's the pen with the new paper. (I'm pretty sure I still need a photography course or something)

pen.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know what you did right or wrong or differently, but that is a beautiful pen:icon_thum What kinda wood is it??:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
try getting some micro mesh... It is a little spendy but last along time when you only use it for pens....

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Maybe you are not letting the ca dry enough before you start sanding. and it is clumping up. I say you just do what you did on that pen... It turned out GREAT!!!!!!

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I think I may have the answer to your question.... It may be what you are applying your CA with... sand paper, shop towel, ect..... I noticed a pen I made today had small white specs on it and I had to resand it..... I think it may have came from the applying step...

clowman

Clay Lowman
That's a good point. I do use a paper towel. When I had my class, John showed us with a rubber glove, and that worked out real nice. My problem was after I got home, I just couldn't get the glue level enough, and kept sanding through. Now that I have a little more experience applying it, I'm going to try some more with the glove. Oh, for the method I use, I did post the instructions I use here, if you're interested.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I use a blue shop towel.... I have never had any problem.... But I have heard of people using old sand paper....

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Looks great Clay. I don't know whether it would be the application or the wet dry paper. Some of the gold papers tend to clear better than other types of paper and not "foul" as much. Try a few more the same way and see if the proble is solved. Feel free to send a pen here for closer inspection.:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS