Pen turning bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
All the pen turning going on around here motivated me to make some myself! I learned to turn pens at the North Carolina Woodworker Pens for Troops event in October, and I turned a couple more since then that I wasn't terribly happy with. Last week I decided to try this style (like the one DaveO posted here):

IMG_5856.jpg

I like the look and feel of this style a lot better than the slimlines. It's the Euro Style (Mont Blanc) that uses a 7mm tube so I didn't have to change the mandrel/bit. The top three are Honduran Rosewood (left over from my mallet project) and the bottom is Cocobolo. These will be going out as Christmas gifts

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
sweet looking pens Monty!!! the local HF is running a sale through Dec 26, debating the DC or lathe first!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Monty, Beautiful job on the pens!:eusa_clap I wish I had a lathe:crybaby2: AND enough talent:eusa_booh to do what you guys do.

I have several people on my Christmas list that I would love to give pens to. All the nurses who have taken such good care of me during my illness, are all angels and deserve something special. Would you or others on this site be willing to turn about 10 pens for me? They don't have to be done by Christmas, but as close as possible would be nice.
I have no idea what something like this would cost, so could you give me an idea of what you might charge for 10 pens?
Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent...

Monty

New User
Monty
Thanks for the comments... turning pens is actually pretty fun - a great quick project that actually makes something useful!

Randy - I don't make things to sell, but I'm sure there are plenty here who could provide what you need. You might try making a post in the Request for Custom Projects forum.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum Monty you get three thumbs up those look great. I guess you have the bug like the rest of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice Monty! And as always, the photography is excellent :icon_thum
Now, how can I get on your Xmas list :lol:

Roger

gator

George
Corporate Member
Pappy -

i have 13 pens left from Christmas inventory (craft shows and gifts). You are not that far away that you could stop by and take a look at them. We could work out something I'm sure price-wise.

Shoot me a PM and your phone number and and I'll give you a call so we could set up a time. I am generally home or close around town on Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat.

George

Monty, Beautiful job on the pens!:eusa_clap I wish I had a lathe:crybaby2: AND enough talent:eusa_booh to do what you guys do.

I have several people on my Christmas list that I would love to give pens to. All the nurses who have taken such good care of me during my illness, are all angels and deserve something special. Would you or others on this site be willing to turn about 10 pens for me? They don't have to be done by Christmas, but as close as possible would be nice.
I have no idea what something like this would cost, so could you give me an idea of what you might charge for 10 pens?
Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Monty, great looking pens. The fit and finish look top notch :eusa_clap Do you use the sizing bushing for the tenon, or the center band or calipers?

Dave:)

MikeF

New User
Mike
Very Nice Monty. I never really got into turning much, but I have a feeling that may change with the peer pressure around here. :lol:

Just need to read through a few more posts and learn a thing or two first.

I have the lathe. That's a start!

Monty

New User
Monty
Monty, great looking pens. The fit and finish look top notch :eusa_clap Do you use the sizing bushing for the tenon, or the center band or calipers?

Dave:)

After I made a couple I realized the best thing to do was get the outside diameter right (including initial sanding), and then cut the tenon with a parting tool. If I load the mandrel with long blank on the headstock end (left), I can hold the sizing bushing out of the way with my left hand while I start the cut with the parting tool in my right hand. Once the cut is started I can let go and finish the cut. I cut the tenon with a very slight taper so the sizing bushing only goes about 3/4 the way up the tenon. That way when I assemble the pen I get a press fit on the center band. I do all the final sanding with the sizing bushing "stuck" on the tenon to help make sure I don't round over that edge. :oops: I'm still learning, though... I have learned something new on each pen!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Great job on the pens Monty! It is an addictive pursuit, you cannot turn back.
Pappy-
It has been my experience that Nurses like "click pens" if they are to be used at their job.
Though the Euro style is a little fancier than a Slimline, it is really a slimline with a "hat and a belt"
PSI sells Euro style that takes a Parker refill which allows you to put a gel refill in if you wish.
The kit is a PK MON PAR.
I use them a lot for my modified designs.They are turned on a standard mandrel but use a "step bushing"
I like them because the transmisson mechanics are fool proof and don't fail unlike some other manufacturers with a more complicated assembly.
They are the guts to my "Casing pens" when I make them with Parker refills.
Warthog%20001.jpg

I have found the cost is under $4.00 a kit when bought through Woodturningz (1888PENKITS)
Tell Fritz I sent you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS