Peace......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I decide to try something different today. I am a glutton for frustration :eusa_doh: Here is the result of my first attempt at a pen blank inlay with a dash of segmentation thrown in.
Aptly called PEACE :icon_flow

Copy_of_Pens_333.jpg

Black enamel cigar in Holly with a Walnut and Yellowheart PEACE inlay, and Purpleheart segmented bands.

Critiques welcome...that means you too, Eagle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Last edited:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Great job on your first inlay.
AS for the title I don't know how old you are but perhaps you were thinkinging along these lines?
peaceB52.gif

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

OK.....Now you've got me. How about a short primer on how you did it!

I've turned out a few pens/pencils by now, but wonder about the inlays. It seems as though the work is so fine that it would be very difficult. If I get tempted, any pointers?

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I first took some 4/4 Yellowheart(YH) and some .04" thick strips of Walnut. Split the piece of YH in half, and then cut the angles for the bottom branches of the peace sign. I glued in the Walnut, side branches first, and then the center strip.
Then I carefully measured from the center of the peace sign out to cut the YH block into a 3/4" square. That was glued between two other pieces of Walnut waste blocks and the YH was turned round to a dia. of 3/8". Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in another piece of Walnut and glued the YH block into it. That whole thing was turned down to 7/16" giving the outer Walnut band.
Then I simply drilled a 7/16" hole in the Holly blank and glued a 3/8" thick slice of the inlay into it.
The rest of the pen is just simple layered segmentation.
All turned very fast with very sharp tools after the corners were knocked off on the disk sander.
HTH,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's what they used to call me back in the commune...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Nice work, Dave and way to do something a little different. Having the inlay in the middle of the blank like that adds a level of difficulty...good job!

Chris

DavidF

New User
David
Great work Dave! nothing like making life difficult just for the challenge. There is something about making a piece where people say "how did you do that?"

J

jeff...

I first took some 4/4 Yellowheart(YH) and some .04" thick strips of Walnut. Split the piece of YH in half, and then cut the angles for the bottom branches of the peace sign. I glued in the Walnut, side branches first, and then the center strip.
Then I carefully measured from the center of the peace sign out to cut the YH block into a 3/4" square. That was glued between two other pieces of Walnut waste blocks and the YH was turned round to a dia. of 3/8". Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in another piece of Walnut and glued the YH block into it. That whole thing was turned down to 7/16" giving the outer Walnut band.
Then I simply drilled a 7/16" hole in the Holly blank and glued a 3/8" thick slice of the inlay into it.
The rest of the pen is just simple layered segmentation.
All turned very fast with very sharp tools after the corners were knocked off on the disk sander.
HTH,

Say it again 8-O

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Did I stutter :lol: ....you wanted a tutorial, that's the best I could do with my grasp of the English language.
It was a lot easier to do than it was to type.

J

jeff...

Did I stutter :lol: ....you wanted a tutorial, that's the best I could do with my grasp of the English language.
It was a lot easier to do than it was to type.

SMILE - just jerking your chain

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That it is one groovy design Dave! I love the contrasts you've got going on. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors