Pauduk Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've been in between projects lately so I decided to build this little box as an exercise in inlay and use up some scrap wood. The box is pauduk and the medalion is pauduk, ebony and poplar, and the banding is ebony. I used BLO as a finish and after it dries for a while I'll put a coat of wax on it.

Attachments

• 100_0489.jpg
    100_0489.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 202

sediener

New User
Steve
Looks great, Larry. Is there ebony banding around the medalion or is that a shadow? If so, how'd you do that?

- Steve

M

McRabbet

Larry, that is one beautiful box -- the inlay is superb -- maybe you could do a nice write-up on how to do inlay work like this and we can add it to the Download Library! You've got incredible talent.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Looks great, Larry. Is there ebony banding around the medalion or is that a shadow? If so, how'd you do that?

- Steve
Steve, Its a thin string of poplar that I used a extra fine point Magic Marker on. I couldn't get the ebony to bend that much. Even with the poplar I had to heat it by draging it across a hot wood burning tool. I then glued the string to the medalion. After all that I traced the outline onto the top and routed it out and glued in the medalion. The medalion is about 1/32" thick. I got the flower petals by sawing and sanding one thick piece of pauduk and slicing the thin sections off on the band saw. I did a drawing of the flower and cut and sanded each piece until they fit and taped then together.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Remarkable work Larry! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I agree that you should do a write up so it can be posted for download. I'd love to see the step by step directions to make something like this:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Larry, do you make anything that isn't exqusite. Even your simple little box is better than I could ever hope to make.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
I've been in between projects lately so I decided to build this little box as an exercise in inlay and use up some scrap wood. . . .

:eusa_thin Between jobs exercise, eh!
And a lifetime goal for the rest of us 8-O
It is a marvelous box Larry :icon_thum

Do you have really small hands?
Roger

DavidF

New User
David
If that is a scrap wood exercise then the rest of us have no chance! I didn't even notice the band around the flower, great job.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If that's "exercise" I guess you must be Olympics quality in your "real" woodworking!! Great work!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Rose, you are the "MAN" in inlay! :notworthy:

Since I saw the "Compass Rose" table I've been following your projects. That box is something I could only dream about.

Keep 'em coming, partner. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS