Painting Art on Bare Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I have some small routed pine plaques that my wife wants pictures painted on. I'd rather not have the picture in the middle with bare wood surrounding it. Does anyone have any experience with this type of project? Should I stain the wood, then paint acrylic over the stain and then put a protective finish over it? Any suggestions would be most helpful. (If I haven't explained it well, the painting would be centered on the plaque and I'd just like the wood to be slightly colored).

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Will,

I don't know about the stain but I would surely seal the wood with thinned shellac or any other sealer. You don't want the sealer to be too slick or glossy as this will force you to paint in multiple coats in order to cover well. The seal coat will help prevent the paint from bleeding into areas you don't want painted. After painting you can protect the paint with any topcoat (we use shellac in the harpsichord biz).

Ernie

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Will, we put a light color stain down as a "base" on almost everything before burning and painting and then apply a topcoat.

We mainly work with WB paints/stains with some occasional acrylics and GF WB poly or polyacrylic for topcoat. You can see the results in my gallery or website.

HTH,
Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors