Outta the woodwork...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
Hi folks, I've been lurking, using this site mainly as a reference for the past month or so (and what an excellent reference this site has been!); I found out about you guys from the window display at Klingspors in Raleigh. Before I say more I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Morgan Martin, a 21 year old wood working enthusiast. I live in Carrboro, right outside Chapel Hill. My primary interest is furniture fabrication, repairs and finishing/refinishing. I'm luckier than others my age in that I have an enormous room, half of which I've temporarily walled off so my 'shop' won't spit sawdust all over my bed. Works great! I've got an 8x7 shop area where I can work comfortably from my workbench, table saw, and router table. Had to do a lot of improvising in building the work area, but it turned out perfectly -- not too cramped or anything. Besides that, it probably should be noted that I'm a big time antique tool/hand tool nut. I work them into my projects as often as I can.

Anyhow -- I'm coming out of the woodwork to ask for help in finding a job. I was just recently laid off from my furniture repairman position at an antique shop hurt by the economy and I'm looking for something else. I'd like move on up in the world of woodworking, and am interested in working in repair/refinishing, cabinet making, or apprenticing. Could anyone maybe point me in any direction? I could work in the Chapel Hill and Durham areas. I've found now is not the best time to be out looking for employment (big time!), and any help any of you kind folks might offer would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks! And I look forward to interacting with all you guys.

Morgan

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Welcome to the party Morgan. Glad to have you "on board." :rotflm:

Good luck in finding a new job and we all look forward to your future "posts." :gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Morgan. We are glad that you found us and sincerely hope that you locate another job soon.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Morgan, I am glad to see you over here. I don't have any leads on jobs (or I might be taking them myself) but you might consider just going through the phone book and contacting cabinet shops around the area. Often folks don't need an employee until the right one comes along.
Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.
Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Morgan! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap It's cool to have another young(er) member on board, The way it is around here, if NCWWer ever had Christmas at Steve's place, me you and Alex would be at the kid's table. :rotflm:

All kidding aside, this is the nicest group of folks I've ever had the privelege of talking to/meeting. Sounds like you've got some great experience under your belt. I wish you the best in finding a job. It ain't easy right now, but something will pan out if you keep at it. Please share some pictures of your work and jump right in to the threads. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
Hey Trent, Dave et al...thanks so much for the warm welcome and the kind words. Been pretty bummed about gettin the boot, and have shut myself up in my room and have completely filled the 'shop' side with saw dust. Working through it, I guess you'd say?

Dave, I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and crack open the yellow pages. Just the shove in that direction I needed.

-Morgan

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little sawdust pile, Morgan! We are glad to have you with us. This is a friendly bunch always willing to help. Jump in any time with questions or suggestions.
Good luck on the job search. The only advice I can give you is, it's easier to find a job when you have a job. Don't be afraid to accept anything until you find something you really want. At least you won't go hungry...
Good luck and enjoy this great site!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Oh, please don't say things like that where DaveO can hear. That's how the Spring Picnic got started,:rotflm:
Hmmm, I better meander over to the Staff Announcements Forum. Of course, we expect handmade gifts....

sapwood

New User
Roger
I am still waiting for DaveO to come do the free landscaping work.....:icon_scra

Tell him he can log onto NCWWer while he's there :widea:

Back on point :rolleyes:

WELCOME TO NCWWer Morgan!
Glad you decide to join us and I would love to see some pics of your work, hand tools, or workshop :icon_thum

Good luck with the job hunting. I know a couple of folks in Chapel Hill I can ask if they need help. It won't hurt to try . . .

Roger

Rod

New User
Rod
Welcome Morgan. Sorry to hear about your employment troubles of late. Hopefully things will look bright sooner.

I have been working on a company business plan for quite a while now but can't get to where I need to make it happen. Part of that plan is to incorporate refinishing/refurbishing. The company will reside in Winston-Salem, or around there. I still reside in Boone...hence the problem.

Anyway, wrong place wrong time I guess. Let us know how your search goes. If you end up moving west for some reason, drop me a line.
Rod

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Morgan. I wish I had some ideas to help you in your search. Good luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS