Osc Spindle Sander Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
CAMERA.GIF
Considering getting this HF (currently on sale).

Vs. The Triton at Woodcrafters. About $40 plus diff. but look exactly the same sans paint.

Any one have experience with either one of these?

Thanks
Matt

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I have the HF model. After about three sandings, an electric fragrance wafted through the air, followed shortly by an acrid cloud of smoke. I removed, cleaned and re-inserted the brushes, and it has behaved since (about a year). Other than that early foul-up, it seems to work well.

I can't find the receipt, so if/when it fries, I may just buy another one. And if the new one fries, I'll have to take it back for a refund. That is, if I can tell which is the new one and which is the old one. Just wouldn't be right to return the first burnout.

I vote to buy the HF and use the $40 for some Klingsie sandpaper. There are certainly things an OSS can do that are unmatched by the other toys in the shop.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I bought and do enjoy the Ridgid OSS. It has a belt attachment that I use a lot also. It's a bit more $$$ at $200 tho.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I too am a big fan of the Ridgid OSS, and the edge sander attachment can launch a piece of stock like nothing else.

Dave:)

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I bought and do enjoy the Ridgid OSS. It has a belt attachment that I use a lot also. It's a bit more $$$ at $200 tho.

I too am a big fan of the Ridgid OSS, and the edge sander attachment can launch a piece of stock like nothing else.

Dave:)

Yeah, I saw one over at Joe Scharle's and Woodwrangler had one as well.

I like it but @ $ 200 uhm..... I also have a belt/disc combo, so this would be a little duplication, plus the space issue. I like the large table too!

Hmmm......:eusa_thin

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Matt, check out some of your local pawn shops, I have seen the Ridgid for as little as $100 here in Fayetteville, and I have been generally more impressed with prices in RDU area than here.

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
have the HF works well for me have sanded several bandsaw boxes ,etc. they have been running some 20% off lately.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know where there is a Jet OSS that you could use when needed. :wink_smil

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I have the Ridged OSS and I am very satisfied with it. I especially like the versatility of changing from belt to spindle and also small footprint.

Dan C.

Outa Square

New User
Al
This is for the Ryobi, which I have and like. But I only paid $90 for it when they first came out, and yes it came with a full assortment of papers and spindles. I don't know what they cost now though.

The ryobi and the HF(the lower cost one) is similar and some say it is the same but different paint.

I believe they where $90 to $100 at Home Depot but I don't know if Home Depot sells them anymore as they now sell the ridgid oss

jimwill48

James
I have the HF OSS one and also the Ridgid Oss. Belt/Spindle sander. The HF OSS model can take a larger spindle than the Ridgid. I keep the Ridgid set up for The Belt funtion and use the HF OSS for the spindle function. The Ridgid does have a larger table. But its easy to make a larger table for the HF OSS. The HF and Triton are the same machine in diff colors the only differance is the price (quess it costs more to imort in Aus. then to the US). By way, HF also sell sets of spindle sleeves in 3 diff griits (80, 120, 240) for $7.99 each.

James

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I have the HF OSS one and also the Ridgid Oss. Belt/Spindle sander. The HF OSS model can take a larger spindle than the Ridgid. I keep the Ridgid set up for The Belt funtion and use the HF OSS for the spindle function. The Ridgid does have a larger table. But its easy to make a larger table for the HF OSS. The HF and Triton are the same machine in diff colors the only differance is the price (quess it costs more to imort in Aus. then to the US). By way, HF also sell sets of spindle sleeves in 3 diff griits (80, 120, 240) for $7.99 each.

James

James,

You da man! Both, hey ! I like your quickie tool review, gives me more info to work with. Sounds like the HF may be the way to go! Especially with discounts, sales etc.....

Thanks!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors