Opinions Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
O.K...the CFO has approved the purchase of a new table saw with our check coming from Uncle George. The budget is $1500 OR LESS! I have poured over all the major brands (Delta, Jet, Griz, Steel City, forget PM because it is way out of my range) and I need help finding the perfect saw. There are several that have caught my eye. Here is one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-5-HP-Single-Phase-Left-Tilt-Cabinet-Saw/G1023SLWX

I like the fact that it is 5hP and comes with a b/i router table.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=61081
Have heard great things about Jet.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V-Left-Tilt-w-7-Rails/G1023SLX
Another Griz and the 7' rails would be nice

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=963-210
Yeah, it is slightly over the limit, but a free DC and mobile base...I think I can swing it for a nice dinner and a night out.

My options are NOT limited to these, but this should give you an idea of what I am looking at. Thanks for the advice.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the saws you linked to. Personally I would go left-tilt over right. The Griz 1023SL saws are well built and well priced. 5 HP is great but not really needed for normal wood cutting. Long fence rails are nice to have if you have the space. You can very easily add your own built-in router table.

Pick your color :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I agree with Dave O, (fancy that!) that 3 hp will do all you want to do. I have a 3 hp PM and it will rip 2" stuff nicely.

I saw that Delta Uni and free DC. I'd have to consider that if I needed a DC. And if you don't have one , you will need one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:wsmile:

M

McRabbet

I adore my Grizzly G1023SLX -- the router table version is a plus -- go green (but be sure to buy a good blade)!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What Dave said. If you have the room, go for the enormous massive rails & extension table. You can never have too much work surface. The saws you listed are all great. The only feature you may want to look for (and this won't be easy in your price range) is a real riving knife.

Let us know what you decide to get, so we can pre-gloat with you.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto Dave's usual great advice, but with one change.

I've never regretted having too much horsepower, but there were times that I regretted not having more. I'd go for a 5hp if I could swing it.

SS

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Scott would go for a 50 hp motor if they made one:rotflm:.

Seriously I have a Jet left tilt 3hp cabinet saw and I love it, I would rebuy it if I had to do it all over. I agree with Dave, any of the 3hp cabinet saws, preferably with a biesmeyer style fence on it, will put and keep a smile on your face .

Godspeed,
Jimmy:)

norm932

New User
norm
I have a Grizzly G1023SLW in the 3 hp. In my opinion unless you plan to run really thick stock you will never need a 5 hp. Even with a full set of dado blades, I have yet to have anything bog my saw down. Although I have never used it, the router table is a nice option to use as a table extension. Mine came with the Shop Fox upgrade on the fence. I have lived with this but would prefer a better fence. Maybe the guys that have 5 hps can tell us why they need the extra power.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Can't go wrong with any of those.
May want to look at your electric supply if you're considering a 5hp. Got 30amp service?

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
What Dave said. If you have the room, go for the enormous massive rails & extension table. You can never have too much work surface. The saws you listed are all great.

Unless you do your woodwork in a 2-car garage, then space needs to multitask.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
First, thank you everyone for the advice. You have no idea how much it is appreciated.

Now, after some more research and reading your reviews....I have come to a couple of conclusions:

1. The Delta, while a great deal on the surface, comes with the AP-400 1hp DC. All the reviews I read said it was short on power. My shop (which should be finished by the end of May) is 768 sqft. So, I would probably not be happy with that DC. Still, the saw itself is a great deal and I could probably turn around and sell the DC to someone who needs something smaller.

2. From the variances I found (Fine Woodworking just had a review of 10" cabinet saws) and the quality of work I do, I will probably never notice the difference between 1/1000th runout and 5/1000th runout.

3. The shop is already close on budget and the savings could be put into other areas....

With all that being said, I am leaning strongly toward the G1023SLX with the 7' rails. All the reviews I have seen said the saw is a good saw.

Now, the question...a couple of the reviews also mentioned that the Shop Fox fence had some deflection issues under light (20 lb) pressure. Honestly, how good is the Shop Fox and will I eventually need to upgrade? If so, the price difference is minimal (especially when you factor in that Grizzly wants $150 to ship it).

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've never regretted having too much horsepower, but there were times that I regretted not having more. I'd go for a 5hp if I could swing it.

SS

Sounds like a quote that would come from a guy holding a big chainsaw! LOL

I'm basicly agree with everyone else here. Pick yer color and git to sawing!

Rob

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I cannot weigh in on the table saw. $1500 is more than I have in all my tools, power and hand. :eek:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I cannot weigh in on the table saw. $1500 is more than I have in all my tools, power and hand. :eek:

Me also, but isn't it fun to shop at the high end with someone else's money? :gar-Bi
Ooh - shiny! Get that one... :gar-La;

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I took a similiar plunge, I opted for the 3 Hp right tilt, Delta Cabinet saw with the 50" unifence. I paid allot less 1500.00. But that may have been cause there was no mobile base or extension table included. ( Bulit my own for 50,.00)
Anyways I have not found anything yet that I dislike about the Delta.
I do a llot of woodworking from furniture to cabinets to outdoor decks, gazebo's you name it.
Now I have been thru a few blades. I would tell you to get an aftermarket blade of your choice.
As far as left or right tilt, eh,, who knows. I can move my fence to either side of the blade so what's the fuss.
3Hp is plenty. I have never bogged 3 HP down yet.
Mobilebase and all that. Unless your floor is absolutely level and is baby's butt smooth.
I wouldn't do much moving of the saw from where you end up positioning it.
If you do then you end up releveling etc. (I believe you said that your shop was being built).
DC collection, Yep 1 HP is just enough to tell you that you are under powered, but will do the job of one tool at a time. I lived with 1 HP for 18 months and she did the job, but not as well as my new 2 hp does. It was a budget thing.

Hope this helps.

MAC

TXnNC

New User
Ken
Trust me, I wouldn't be looking at anything in this class either if it weren't for the Government giving me the "shop warming" present.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I didn't mean to sound like I had any issue with it. I think a lot of the old adages need exceptions like "Pride goeth before a fall BUT don't be ashamed of good fortune". My favorite, which I have tried to drill into my kids, is "Don't talk to strangers BUT always wave at the caboose man." :wsmile:

"The race is not always won by the swift nor the battle by the strong BUT it's best to bet that way."

...and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS