Opinions re: different scroll saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
We haven't discusssed this in a while, so who has what scroll saw and what to you like and not like about it?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cathy, I have the DeWalt DW788, 20" variable speed scrollsaw and simply love it. Granted it is not a Hawk but it has done well for me.

The saw has a large cast iron table that absorbs vibrations well.

The table tilts a full 45° left and right.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...z_0/103-2465592-5040659?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

The dust blower provides plenty of flexibility to position it where it can be most effective, yet out of your field of vision while making cuts. The hold down is pretty cheesy and is a pain to get adjust correctly sometimes to provide just the right amount of tension on your work piece. Also, all of the controls are right up front where they are easy to adjust. On/Off switch, Blade Tension, and Speed Control.

I also have DeWalt's stand for the saw also. I like the fact that the back leg can be raised or lowered to tilt the saw from front to rear. This comes in handy if you prefer to sit down while you are operating the saw.

Overall, I am very happy with this saw and I would buy it again if I had to do it all over again.

Just my $.02
D L

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...z_0/103-2465592-5040659?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

J

jeff...

SteveColes said:
WG shouldn't be allowed to respond:lol:
AMEN Brother !!!

Cathy,
I have a Delta one, LOML picked up for me as a Christmas present, it's very nice indeed... with variable speed control and all. Pretty cool, used it a few times and like it alot.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone stack cut more than one or two things, or tried 3-d ornaments? Most of you know I have a Delta and for most things it's fine. The stack cutting and things like the 3-d ornaments is where I have the most problem. I do have some problem from vibration unless the speed is set to the slowest (yes, it's anchored, etc...). I really want a Hegner or Hawk, but also really want to get some Christmas ornaments cut so I may settle for the DeWalt. If I do I'll have to wait until they are on sale again and I can get the whole package for a good price. Or may be worth th drive to Atlanta.

Hold down - oh yeah, I remember what that is! :lol: I turn mine so it's up and out of the way. Is it removable on the DeWalt - or at least possible to get it out of the way?

I've posted enough pictures that ya'll know my Delta is good for most things. It will be for sale when I find a new one.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Cathy,
You know how I feel about my DeWalt. It's hard to imagine a more solid machine. It cuts effortlessly and vibrates like a sewing machine for wood, very little. I have also used it to cut copper and sheet metal sandwiched between wood with excellent results.

Barbara

Monty

New User
Monty
I have the Delta SS360, which I think is a "step up" but still vibrates at mid-range speeds. Low speed and high speed are fine though, with very little vibration. My problem is, I don't know how to USE it!!!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The DeWalt's the one (unless you have really deep pockets AND a bad case of WG disease) :lol:

If you get one I'd strongly recommend adding an easy-lift. It's a spring loaded bar that holds the arm up. Really makes it much easier when doing a bunch of inside cuts.

D L - Do you really use that hold=down thingie?!?! If so try cutting without it. I think you'll find it just gets in the way and it really isn't necessary.

pete

Attachments

• pr_elift.gif
    pr_elift.gif
    43.5 KB · Views: 278

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Tekkadan said:
The DeWalt's the one (unless you have really deep pockets AND a bad case of WG disease) :lol:

If you get one I'd strongly recommend adding an easy-lift. It's a spring loaded bar that holds the arm up. Really makes it much easier when doing a bunch of inside cuts.

D L - Do you really use that hold=down thingie?!?! If so try cutting without it. I think you'll find it just gets in the way and it really isn't necessary.

pete

Pete, to be honest I normally keep the hold down raised up out of the way or removed completely. I find that there are very few times I ever need it.

Also, I forgot to mention in my initial post. I also add the lifting bar to my upper arm as you show in your pic. No support for the upper arm while either changing blades or repositioning work was another short fall of the design. Adding that lift arm quickly corrected that issue.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
cskipper said:
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone stack cut more than one or two things, or tried 3-d ornaments? Most of you know I have a Delta and for most things it's fine. The stack cutting and things like the 3-d ornaments is where I have the most problem. I do have some problem from vibration unless the speed is set to the slowest (yes, it's anchored, etc...). I really want a Hegner or Hawk, but also really want to get some Christmas ornaments cut so I may settle for the DeWalt. If I do I'll have to wait until they are on sale again and I can get the whole package for a good price. Or may be worth th drive to Atlanta.

Hold down - oh yeah, I remember what that is! :lol: I turn mine so it's up and out of the way. Is it removable on the DeWalt - or at least possible to get it out of the way?

I've posted enough pictures that ya'll know my Delta is good for most things. It will be for sale when I find a new one.

Cathy, you could always prepare a few items you want to try cutting (i.e. 3d ornaments, large stacks) and stop by a local vendor that sells the saw and take it for a test drive. Of course if you ever find yourself lost and driving through the this neck of the woods you are always welcome to stop by and try mine out.

I have attempted to cut a few 3D ornaments on mine. It was my first attempt and they didn't come out too great but that was from lack of experience more than any shortcomings of the saw.:lol: I can't recall of the top of my head what the max cutting depth is, but I can find out for you if you want to know.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
b4man said:
Cathy,
You know how I feel about my DeWalt. It's hard to imagine a more solid machine. It cuts effortlessly and vibrates like a sewing machine for wood, very little. I have also used it to cut copper and sheet metal sandwiched between wood with excellent results.

Barbara

Copper and sheet metal? Sounds like the makings for some interesting projects Barbara. I would love to see some pix of your work.:icon_thum

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
Never occurred to me anyone would care to see that stuff! I'll take some pic's and thanks for asking DL. BTW, I don't have the lift on my saw. I've been using a scrap block to hold it up. Where can I buy one?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
b4man said:
Never occurred to me anyone would care to see that stuff! I'll take some pic's and thanks for asking DL. BTW, I don't have the lift on my saw. I've been using a scrap block to hold it up. Where can I buy one?

Barbara, I was using the scrap block technique for years myself until I found that lift arm kit. You should be able to pick one up at either Woodcraft or Rockler. The lift arm is simple to install and comes with all required hardware. All you have to do is replace a couple existing screws with the longer ones provided and attach the spring. Try it, you'll really like it.

And yes, we would love to see your work. Remember...........no pix........it never happened.:lol:

D L

cskipper

Cathy
Barbara, I can not believe you said that!!!!! How many times have I asked you if you've used it.... BTW - I finally have your trivets ready to mail on Monday.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I've used it! You haven't ask in a month or so.:-? It is not my desire to invoke pity which I would certainly do:eusa_booh , by showing my little nick naks in comparison to the work of masters like yourself!:) Why do you think I commissioned you to make my trivets?
OH man, I can't wait to get 'em!

Barbara
proud owner of the big Yellow scroll saw

cskipper

Cathy
Thank you - let me know when you get them. I chose 3 different woods and styles. I'm sure I have your snail mail address somewhere, but would you please pm it to me again?

We all start with by "my little nick naks ". Somehow, knowing your work, they will hardly invoke pity!

PS - I've added a monthly reminder on my calendar to ask you about your scroll-sawing activities! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS