Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernnal

New User
Eric
Hi all,

I have figured out that I love the scrollsaw and have recently decided to try some intarsia projects. I currently am using a Craftsman saw that I picked up at a yard sale. I figure that will get me through my early projects. However, I have a feeling that I will need to upgrade saws in the future.

I would love to hear your opinions regarding different saws.

Also....I read about all the different blades and tooth styles and get incredibly confused....feel free to offer your feelings on these also.

Thanks,

Eric

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Eric
Glad to hear that you are wanting to try Intarsia. I started creating Intarsia back in the early 90's using an old single speed Craftsman saw and upgraded to a Craftsman with variable speed a few years later. I still use this saw and see no need to upgrade at this time as this saw still serves me well. As president of the River City Scrollers club here in Richmond. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the newer (and more expensive) saws( Hegner,Excaliber and Dewalt) and to be honest ,except for a few more bells and whistles on these more expensive saws I can't see where they cut any better that my old Craftsman saw. For me, learning good technique is more important than a better quality saw. As far as blade selection, the best way to learn what works best for you is to try out different blades. Some scrollers swear by Flying Dutchman blades while others (including myself )are happy with Olson blades. As an example, for my Intarsia I use mostly exotic hardwoods ranging from 1/8" to 1/2" thick and most of the time I use a #5 skip tooth blade because it cuts fast, is easy to stay on the lines and I can still make sharp corners. For more detail cuts I will use a #3 reverse tooth. Alot will depend on the type and thickness of the woods that you want to use and what you get used to. I hope this helps you a little and look forward to seeing some of your Intarsia soon.

scoobyJ

New User
SJ
Hey Eric,

I'm hoping you'll love Intarsia as much as I do. In the June 2004 Creative Woodworks & Crafts mag. there is an article about scroll saw blades that may be of interest to you. I know it's an older article but it does shed some light on different types of blades and how well they do on hardwoods. I started out on an old Dremel scroll saw which is still in my shop...now it's used as a mini sander. From there I got a Delta saw which I still use on a regular basis. It does an excellent job cutting thick hardwood and I use it alot for cutting puzzles. Before RBI was sold I managed to buy a 26 inch Hawk that was one of their expo displays. I love it. I have used it for everything. With a diamond blade and drip tank installed on it I have cut glass and coins with it. I have seen that saw on ebay and on craigslist for as little as 350.00.

My hawk is what I use mainly for Intarsia. The blade travel is completely straight up and down on it which I find makes cutting Intarsia pieces 100 percent better.

If you don't have that magazine and you are interested in the article let me know.

Happy scrolling!

SJ

cskipper

Cathy
I started with a Craftsman saw which had pin-end blades. I had it on a counter and it bounced me all over the room. Bought a Dremel (earlier version which had before they made some improvements) - took it back to the BORG the same day. Bought a mid-grade Delta and used it for years. I lucked into a Hegner from CL a number of years ago and discovered how much better a saw could be. A couple of months ago I lucked into even a better deal on a Hegner on CL. It's 13 years newer than my older one and is even smoother than before. The reason I tell you that is that I still really struggle with Intarsia. I still work at it, but the saw is only part of the process. I also believe that using the stand that matches the saw can make a difference in vibration of the saw, which can affect the accuracy of your cutting.

Personally I find that the blades from PSWood cut the straightest, with virtually no drift. I use FDUR blades too, although they might not have made them when the article was written in 2004. When I need a reverse-tooth blade (mostly plywood) I prefer these.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS