opinions on corded hand held drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
My DeWalt drill is dying. Hasn't quite stopped but it isn't doing its job any longer. I'm looking to buy a corded, 3/8", VSR drill. Doesn't sound like much of an undertaking but I've been looking online and shaking my head.
This is just an all purpose drill. I've got a 1/2" heavy duty Milwaukee holeshooter for BIG jobs, access to a 1" monster if I ever need it. I've got cordless so I want this to be corded.
This needs to be moderate in weight - up to a little over 4 pounds seems a bit heavy but I've not weighed my old ones.
I've found top speeds from 600 rpm to over 4000 - no load.
Amps from 2.3 to over 7.
Middle mount handle - new to me - any input?
< $40 - >$400. WHEW. Doesn't even come with an operator for that much.
All metal chuck and combination plastic/metal.
Keyed and keyless.
The options seem enormous.
I've had or have B&D, Craftsman, Bosch, DeWalt (before and after BD), Milwaukee, and Makita so I'm not a brand snob -(finally something I'll give on).
What would you buy today- and why?

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I usually buy what ever was onsale that was light. I have a skil and black and decker that do what you are asking for. I like the skil a little better as its smaller. I have never found a time that it could not do the job of a basic 3/8 drill. I have a 1/2 hammer drill for HD stuff.

I think to many people go overboard on some tools and this is one. If you need to drill 20 holes out or put in a couple dozen screws you don;t want the biggest most heavy one, but a light one that does the job.

For this I like chuckless and cheap. That and if it breaks I am not to worried about $40 or less.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think that any of the major brands would work for you. For the best deal, in today's economy, don't overlook the pawn shops. There are a lot of construction industry tools showing up there. Just be sure to check them out closely, some have been abused but there are some good good deals out there.

George

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I am happy with a B&D I picked up at BigLots for $39.95, it has done everything I have asked of it. plenty of power for most jobs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I went through this same exercise last year and wound up with a Bosch.

I am extremely happy with it and would not hesitate to buy another one or recommend it to anyone.

M

McRabbet

I'd agree with Mike Davis that Bosch is a good choice, but I'd look hard at Industrial models by Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt in that order. I have two 20th century corded drills that have served me well -- a 1980's vintage Craftsman Industrial 1/2" drill (VS up to 625 RPM) and a metal bodied Black & Decker drywall screwgun that must be 35 years old and it will last another 35.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'd agree with Mike Davis that Bosch is a good choice, but I'd look hard at Industrial models by Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt in that order. I have two 20th century corded drills that have served me well -- a 1980's vintage Craftsman Industrial 1/2" drill (VS up to 625 RPM) and a metal bodied Black & Decker drywall screwgun that must be 35 years old and it will last another 35.

I have a B & D 3/8 VS (not reversible) low speed metal bodied drill that has drilled long ways through ball joints on a '66 Chevy, been misused and abused and still keeps going even after it gets too hot to hold onto without gloves that I bought in 1970. That said, I do not think the current models will hold up as well.

Thanks for the post because I am looking for a reversible alternative as well.:gar-Bi

Go

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
If you can swing it ,go bosch,DeWalt,if not Go with B&D,depends on the work you do and how hard you use it.I have used them all and liked them all.I buy what I find at flea markets (I'm cheap) have a 1/2 " B&D hammerdrill pd 10 bucks for it two yrs ago,no complaints,same goes for a 1/2" reg B&D pd 3 bucks 4 yrs ago and work the heck out of it,still screamin. :gar-Bi
Ken

davejones

New User
Dave
Just saw this on Tooliday.com. I don't really have a recommedation for it, other than the price.

moz-screenshot.jpg

DeWalt D21008KR Factory Reconditioned 3/8 Inch Variable Speed Reversible Drill Kit

Price:$111.00 Sale Price $30.00
+ UPS $5.00 shipping

http://www.tooliday.com/

HTH,
Dave

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have two reconditioned DeWalts. One with a keyed chuck and one keyless. The keyless slips under heavy load but is handy for frequent bit changes when the load isn't so high. The keyed takes the bigger loads. I normally use a cordless but when they are not powerful enough or the batteries are both discharged, the DeWalts get the job done. I also have a 1/2 (a Craftsman) and a light duty hammer drill (a Skill) and an old 1/4 somewhere but I normally use one of the DeWalts. I gave my daughter an old B&D 3/8 when she moved to an apartment. The B&D worked but the DeWalts are more powerful and fit my hands a lot better.

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Crazy as it sounds, I have gotten good use from a HF 1/2" corded hammer/rotary drill with detachable drill chuck. I have used it with everything from a 9/16" ship's auger bit to driving concrete screws. YMMV but it has served me well so far (2+ years) for the price. :wsmile:

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
For a lighter duty corded drill, I went with a Companion drill at Sears because it was one of the few ones that was 2500 RPM and it was cheap. The Kreg pocket hole jig recommends > 2000 RPM. I saw this drill on sale at Sears a week ago for $17. I think I also bought the replacement plan, but I have used it for at least four years now. I also have a heavy duty Makita 1/2 drill that I use for really big jobs.

Amy

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I would not recommend the DeWalt. I have the 1/2" corded drill with a keyless chuck and the chuck is a major problem. The chuck is about 2 1/2" long but the inboard part of the grip is only about 1/4". Not enough to get a good grip. Chucking a bit tight enough for drilling in metal is a real problem. It is really irritating. For this reason, and several more, DeWalt has moved down my list of brands to check out when buying tools.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I've bought only one drill, inexpensive B&D in about 1975. Still works, still use it. My sons abandoned about three VS drills, all used, B&D and Craftsman I believe, all work. I'd recommend any fairly inexpensive drill, no keyless chuck. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS