Opening Finish Cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Am I the only fool who has issues opening cans of finish, thinner and the like? You all know the type of cans I mean. Not the round pry open "paint cans" but those rectangular cans with those %^%$^% plastic "PUSH DOWN and TURN" rings. Sure when the can is brand new they work but try and open them a second or third or fourth time. I really think they want you to use the can once and then toss it out so you have to buy more.

Does any one know the real secret?

Last edited by a moderator:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I pop the plastic cap off. there is usually a metal [regular] cap under the child proof cap.:icon_thum cut the plastic with a razor knife and peel it like a banana.:gar-Bi next can I simply swap tops from the old to the new.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I pop the plastic cap off. there is usually a metal [regular] cap under the child proof cap.:icon_thum cut the plastic with a razor knife and peel it like a banana.:gar-Bi next can I simply swap tops from the old to the new.

That's a GREAT idea Fred. :widea: :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You mean you're having trouble with the child-proof cap? :rolf:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

++1. This works well.

Red

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
And I thought I was the only one who had to grab the channel locks. I really like Danish oil for finishing scroll saw work, but I sure dread opening the can for the first time. I was once tempted to drill a hole in the top and pour it into another container, but perserverance prevailed.:kamahlitu

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The first time I saw one of those I cut it off with my pocket knife. Done every one I bought since then.

Still have to use the channel locks sometimes. :dontknow:

smitty62

New User
Dick
While I agree, I have much more of an issue with those food containers with the so-called "pop-up ring" and those sharp lids.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjgreen

New User
Tim

Dang. This is my "why didn't I think of that?" moment for the month. My channel locks need no longer be stored on the wall beneath my solvents/finishes cabinet.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Dang. This is my "why didn't I think of that?" moment for the month. My channel locks need no longer be stored on the wall beneath my solvents/finishes cabinet.

not so fast tj....:gar-La; sometimes the finish seals the lid and you still need the channel locks. DAMHIKT.:gar-Bi

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Slightly off subject, but one of the best things I bought for those types of cans was a clip on funnel. No more cleaning the edge of the can. Much easier in my opinion.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Slightly off subject, but one of the best things I bought for those types of cans was a clip on funnel. No more cleaning the edge of the can. Much easier in my opinion.

[thread hijack on]
Can you post a picture of this funnel? Maybe tell us where you got it? It sounds like a neat idea.
[thread hijack off]

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
My wife used to have one on those inexpensive jar openers; the two piece kind with notches in the bottom piece. She seems to have misplaced it! Shhhhhhhhh!

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Wouldn't you know it as soon as I boast about something I use, I am then asked to provide proof. Now I can't seem to find it in my shop of disarray. I will be cleaning up within the next week or so after I finish my crib project. When I find it I will update with actual photos of the funnel and how it installs on the can. I bought mine at the local home store in the paint department it was a couple of bucks. You might be able to find them at the automotive parts store as well.

Here is a photo I found of the type I have.

spout.jpg

There are other types out there but I like this style because it has a lip that when clipped on it acts as a splash shield. Overall length is about 3 inches. Spout opening is about 1/2 inch.

Hope this helps:icon_thum

For those tough to open cans I use a pair of cannon plug pliers, the jaws are strong but soft enough not to mar up the surface of the cap. I got them from an aviation tool supply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS