One Good Turn Deserves Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Yesterday it was the Walnut and Magnolia vase that I posted. Today comes another attempt at a modified slim line pen.

The LOML had been hinting that she too wanted a pen but that I'd been too busy making them for other people. (I don't even have one I've made for myself yet.)

Today I thought I'd make her one for Christmas. This one is Dogwood with a Walnut centerband. Noting how inexpensive the slim lines are, this could be a very economical way of making pens for general use, saving the more expensive kits for people who commission work.

Anyway, thought it turned out well.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010026.jpg
    P1010026.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 140

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice pen. I really like the shape. I've been doing modified slimlines but never considered doing a shape like that. I may have to give that a try tonight :icon_thum

Dave:)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Dogwood is one of my favorite woods. Great choice for a pen as it is very hard.

One of my chief complaints about the several wooden pens I've owned is that they can be dented with a fingernail and other..er..knocking around.

-Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim, I got to give you a prop. that form isn't the easiest to pull off successfully. Your post inspired me to try that style tonight, and well, your pen turned out much better than mine. I am not happy with the shape, you got a more robust shape out of yours. I hope that you think that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :-D

Copy_of_Pens_206.jpg

Curly Walnut (thanks Dozer) with a Maple and Walnut veneer CB, satin nickle kit from WC.

Maybe I'll be able to turn as well as you one day.

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Nice job on the pen .clean lines simpie looking.Pleasing contrast of woods.
Woodturningz carries a "fancy slimline" I like the design because the clip doesn't have the black stripe down the middle.
The cost is $2.00 a kit and comes with a beaded center band if you like that look.
It is the same design as the Tn gold kit from PSI.
I have switched to the PSI Tn slimline for a little over $3.00 a kit.
One nice feature of this kit is it allows you to mkae the upper barrel a little larger ,it gives the pen more"heft"

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

Looks to me that you did just fine.

I was just trying to achieve a tapered, uniform profile, but with a larger diameter than a traditional slimline. Another thing LOML always comments on is that most "beefier" pens seem top heavy to her. I suppose it's because the mechanisms are larger and rest just above the intersection of the thumb and forefinger.

Modifying the slimline this way seemed to take care of that.

Again, I like the look of yours too!.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS