old hand planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanmarman2007

Jody
Corporate Member
I have three old hand planes that I keep on the shelf in the house. They are about two feet long
4 inches by 4 inches and has the handsaw handle. Just wondering if I should keep them on the shelf, or should I spend some time on them cleaning and tuning up and then put them to work in the shop?
Thanks, Jody:tool:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Put up some pics and let's see what you got. Especially pics of the bottom, the blade and the mouth.

Some of them are winners and some are decorations.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jody,

Regarding what to do with the planes... how did you get these? Are they family tools? Do they have sentimental value? Some things are more valuable as memories... and some memories are more valuable when incorporated into your woodworking.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
As someone else said, these sound like wood-body jointer planes.

The first question you need to answer is: do you really want to prepare (joint, thickness plane) your lumber by hand ? Because that's all these planes are good for in the workshop.

If the answer is no, leave them on the shelf.

If the answer is yes, you will need to fettle the planes into working condition. Probably joint the bottoms, sharpen and set the iron. You probably need someone to show you how (assuming these are your first handplanes).

I am particular to the iron benchplanes myself. I find them much easier to use and maintain. The exception is my ECE Primus, which has a wooden body, but a conventional adjuster and a stainless steel soleplate.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS