Old Craftsman Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hey all I just picked up some old handplanes. They were 10 bucks for the both of them so I thought it couldnt hurt. One looks about the size of a stanely #3 and the other about a stanley #5 maybe. Does anyone know anything about them? They are solid, all parts work, and seem to be pretty good. I dont know if they will hold up to my Bailey's but hey one can never have too many hand tools. Looks like i will be doing some rust removal and restoring. I also have a Bailey #7 that will need a total rehab when it gets here. Got it off of ebay for 20.00, but looked a bit rusty. The sole seemed fine, will have to check it out when it gets here. Be blessed friends.

Monty

New User
Monty
Craftsman planes - just like the Stanley's - most likely will be just fine for users. As I understand it, the older Craftman's were made by Stanley or Sargent or some other reputable company. Quality probably not as good with newer Craftsman's (and Stanley's for that matter). Regardless, you should be able to tune 'em up and put 'em to good use!

You got a Bailey No 7 on ebay for $20? You da man!!! I'll bet it will need some cleaning and tuning... but worth the gamble for that price! :icon_thum It's a fun project, anyway -- enjoy!

:mrgreen:

EDIT: Just saw your pics. I have been asked this before, but I'm not aware of any type studies on Craftsman planes... I guess due to different manufacturers over the years? Perhaps someone else has a good link to share.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
well the price was 20.00, 15 for shipping and insurance. I saw a thread about rust removal with a battery charger. Cant remember where I saw it at. Anyone have the info or a link handy? Thanks much

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Insom is right, the older Sears & Roebuck "Craftsman" brand name planes were made by Stanley and Sargent for the most part. Every major tool manufacturer has made tools for Sears at one time or another. Most of the Sargent made planes for Sears & Roebuck were marketed under the "Fulton" brand name. Fulton was Sears & Roebuck's first tool brand name taken from their main office location on Fulton Street in Chicago. Michaelgarner's new Craftsman planes were made by Millers Falls and are pretty good planes. These were Millers Falls quality line of planes without their cadillac 2-piece lever caps. Notice the red frogs and mahogany wood. I've had several of them over the years, and they usually tune and sharpen pretty good. A lot of folks prefer Millers Falls over Stanley. Millers Falls made good quality tools for the most part, but had inexpensive models also like the other mfgrs.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
michaelgarner said:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=206

LoL,, you know being a computer nerd for the army you would think that I would take the time to figure out how to change the size of my pic's so that I can post them on this thread,,lol. Well anyway they are in my Photo Gallerie, It will be a couple days untill I get everything to refurb them. Be blessed friends.
Michael Garner

Michael, if you are going to upload your pictures to the gallery, it may not be necessary to re-size your pics. As long as your pictures are less than 2MB in size, you can upload them regardless of resolution. The system will keep your pictures at the uploaded size and produce a copy at 800 max in one diminsion and use that as the default.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Oh Oh Oh.. me me me.. I can do it...
100_0336.JPG

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Michael,

I would like to know your source for the craftsman planes you found. I will be picking up a craftsman stanley-ish 7 or 8 when I drive back home next time. Grampa used it to build houses with it back in the 30's. It would be fun to make a complete set.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hey Pete I picked them up at a local second hand store here in hope mills. I have been in there a couple times and try to stop by the pawn shops and flea markets on a regular basis so that I can get good deals when they come along. If I run into anymore I will snatch them up for you. No problem.
Michael

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks, I 've got it bookmarked/added to my watchlist, and I am perusing the entire category now. considering there are 2100 items listed, this could take a while. :(

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Thanks for the pictures.
I got a MF #4 sized plane the other day. It sure didn't have the 2-piece
cap iron. The frog is red, the "Millers Falls" is on the left side.

Don't have time to take and post pictures, though I knew I should.

Monty

New User
Monty
If you're going to try to accumulate a collection of Craftsman planes, just be sure you know what you're getting. Different manufacturers over the years... the quality varies widely. As a result, these tools do tend to go for pretty cheap. Take a look at these recently completed ebay auctions. As you can see, the Craftsman planes tend to go for very little, and more than a few don't even make the opening bid.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I found this to be a very thorough Electrolysis explanation. I haven't gone to the extreme of regulating the electricity.

http://www.galootcentral.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=visit&lid=490

I don't restore for collecting, just user tools.

After nearly a hundred dips in the bath, here are a few tips.

1. remove any kind of grease/oil/wax/paint thinner.

Use any one of a number of degreasers. Turns out a light oil coating seems to mess up the process.

2. baking soda works ok, I haven't been able to find laundry powder

3. do not submerge the anode rod battery charger clamp. I found out the hard way, that makes the clamp the new annode.

4. a light spritz of denatured alchohol is a good way to get a quick dry

5. rinse and scrub the tool after the bath under running water. I've moved to my back yard garden hose.

6. you can chain small parts together with a little wire. i use this for the screws and little bits

7. This might be obvious, but took me a while to realize. Don't spend a lot of effort derusting parts that you will be grinding/flatening. The sole of the plane, back of the iron come to mind. You are going to be taking off lots of that metal anyway.

8. I like to shellac parts. Like the lever cap, frog etc. I usually add a coat of paste wax on top of the shellac. Seems to offer a good bit of protection for exposed metal.

Video Tips: Ernie Carver's restoring a handplane. Frank Klauz Hand Tools.

Thanks,
Jim

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I agree with being carefull, the only reason I purchaed mine was due to the fact that I had them in my hand and played with them. I looked at the adjustments, felt the weight, and they were a good price. I will order some Bailey's off ebay, as long as they have good pictures. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you get junk. Just be carefull. Be blessed friends.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
The MF #4 equivalent I bought was first cheap; and the frog, though
painted red, is better than >type16 Stanley; the body casting is
thinner than (feeling, didn't do the measure) Stanley.

sapwood

New User
Roger
froglips said:
2. baking soda works ok, I haven't been able to find laundry powder
Laundry power isn't used much any more and is difficult to find. However, Kroger foodstores often carry it in the laundry/detergent section. Look for a yellow Arm & Hammer box, I think it's labeled "washing powder". And it is much more effective than baking soda.

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS