OK whats it gona cost me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
...to get set up for pen turning. i have a ridged lathe and a set of turning tools, and a good suply of material for blanks.

but no knowalge of pen turning at all.

cskipper

Cathy
You need a way to cut the blanks to size, drill the blanks (preferably on the lathe), CA glue to put the tubes in the blanks, a pen mill to get true up the blanks, sandpaper, micromesh and whatever you are going to use for a finish. It's also easier to assembly the kit with a pen assembly kit/tool. The beer must be for after you finish, no experience in that department.

clowman

Clay Lowman
You'll need these supplies... (prices are off the top of my head, hopefully on the high end.

Pen Mandrel - $20
Barrel trimmer - $20
micromesh - 9 sheets, $1.75 each. Or a starter kit, for $40, which contains 2 sheets each.
Sandpaper - 220, 320, 400 (min)
CA Glue - thin, medium, and thick - $7 per bottle.
Drill bit for kits - $5-$7
Bushings for pen kits $3-$6
Pen press - $30-$50 (althought this is not a required item)

hmm... am I missing anythings?

J

jeff...

You'll need these supplies... (prices are off the top of my head, hopefully on the high end.

Pen Mandrel - $20
Barrel trimmer - $20
micromesh - 9 sheets, $1.75 each. Or a starter kit, for $40, which contains 2 sheets each.

Yeah, missing one thing - Talent :eusa_thin

cskipper

Cathy

Pen Mandrel - $20
Barrel trimmer - $20

A pen mill.

dozer

Mike
A disassembly tool because you know your going to screw up a few pens. For a pen press I just use a can crusher from harbor freight think it cost $4 on sale.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
And a forgiving significant other...because you'll be spending every evening in the shop finding out what this piece of wood will look like turned....it's addictive. Especially after you start using a CA finish, because the results are spectacular.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

And a forgiving significant other...because you'll be spending every evening in the shop finding out what this piece of wood will look like turned....it's addictive. Especially after you start using a CA finish, because the results are spectacular.

Is that a hint not to send any more experimental wood? :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Heck no, I have a very forgiving wife. Plus she now has many of her Xmas gifts taken care of.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
hmmm paid 200 for the lathe
180 for the set of gouges skews parting tool ect
180 for a chuck
and now it's gona cost me another two to turn a pen

...and i need talet too!!! sounds like i gota send santa an e-mail

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I don't think I saw a mandrel listed.
IIRC everyone who started turning pens on a RIGID eventually got rid of it,I can't remember the reason though.
What type of arrangement is on the head stock?
If you can accept a morse taper I STRONGLY sugeest you get a few mandrel/ adapter set ups.
Most failures in penturning come from impatience.Usually during the finishing stage,CA is a nice finish but has a learning curve and does not show of the wood as well as a deep lacquer finish.Shiny glossy CA finish is on the surface but does not have any depth.
Mylands 3 step friction finish is a good down and dirty finish and you can make your own with lacquer, LT and BLO,You can also make your own shelac friction finish whidh is decent but will wear quickly being replaced with the oild from the users hands developing a beautiful patina over time.It depends on your preference.

I would get a BUNCH of slimline kits from Woodturningz(1888PENKITS)
After you get bored with the shape of the B2B style get rid of the CB and start experimenting.The Slimline(Cross style refill is the most forgiving of all designs) You can get a fancy slimline kit in basic plating for $1.80.Don't pinch pennies on this The service and shipping from Woodturningz is the best I have found.tell Fritz I sent you.Get about 30-50 kits.Also order extra tubes.
Order some Titanium kits if you want some "fancier ones as you progress.
Not necessary, Fritz ships to me in 2 days USPS no handling charges.
Learn to walk before you run.
Different woods finish diffrently.If you opt for a CA finish don't attempt it on ebony, or cocbolo in the beginning.(DAMHIKT) Maybe ever.
Send me a PM with your phone number it is easier to answer some questions over the phone.
On the pen milss get the PSI interchangeable set, it will save you money in the long run.You can make sleeves uisng the 7 mm shaft but as you progress you will want to do different kits with different size tube.No one pen mill does them all.
All tolled $150.00- $200.00
Get the MM from Here.Welcome to Wood Chips
Buy the 6X12 sheets.MM lasts along time and can be washed.I have some I have used since I started turning.
For you sandpaper get Klingspoor gold 180-220-280-320-400.I buy it in the bulk for $3.00 a lb. they don't always have all the right grits so get a lot every time you go and try to find the different grits.eventuall you will have them all.
Maybe #250.00.
MOst turning sites don't offer as much indepth information for pen crafters.This is a great site but there are sites that cater more if not exclusively to pen turners.Find one you like and ask questions.
The DAta base for rederence information on some is quite extensive.

J

jeff...

Some of the pens I've seen our members make are nothing short of massive amounts of talent.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
thanks for the replies, i have a half gallon milk jug that when full of change should just about do it, i''ll have to make the trip north to the big city.

maybe i can get lucky and time it right for a pint at the same time.

if some one is out therre offering to put me on a mailing list for tools that can be bought at a store in north carolina send me a pm, you will need my po box, or i won't get it. but you may see the local postmaster shopping at your store.

tanx again
mda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS