Oh the shame of it.... a WWer without enough clamps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok all. I am a long time woodworker, but get this, be prepared, maybe you should sit down....
I do not have enough clamps! I'm almost too embarrassed to sign my name to this public admission.

I am working on a big table project, a 10' long and 40" wide table. I plan to glue this up next week. I typically use a clamp every 6-8" on a glue up like this, so I figure I need about 14-16 clamps that will handle a 44-46" span. Well I have only 2 clamps that length (and have never really needed more than 2)! If it were 3' instead of 4' I would still have only half of what I need, but I'm not enough close to the amount I need with a 4' length.

So here's my proposition to someone in the Raleigh area willing to rent out their stash of 4' (minimum) clamps for a few days. I'd like to rent out 12 clamps - or at least a minimum of 8 - for a 3-4 days later next week. We can work out details - rental terms, security deposit, pick up and delivery dates - as desired.

This should be some fairly easy cash for someone, and who can't use a bit of extra cash in December? I would be willing to work out reasonable terms to your satisfaction.

Anyone willing to part with their long clamp stash for a few days? I know that I can go buy more clamps, but I doubt there will be too many more BIG projects like this in my future (it's almost too large for my shop).

E-mail me if you prefer to respond that way rather than the public response of the board.

Thanks

Henry
hwynands@ieee.org

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I got 4 pipe clamps in holly springs that should work if you can't find a single source for them. I don't need rent as long as you do the driving.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Great - thanks I'll get back to you once I see what other offers are out there.
Yes I would do the driving.

Thanks

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have some Bessey's that you can use. I've got 10 of the 40" and 4 of the 50". Not sure if the forties will open wide enough (41" or so). I have four clamp extenders, but it sounds like four is not enough. Maybe four 40" (&four 12") with the extenders plus the four 50"?

I also have four 5ft pipe clamps (two-3/4" & two-1/2"). I have a bunch of shorter pipe clamps if you have longer pipes.

The bad news is, I am in Willow Spring, so a little drive from most parts of Raleigh.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Not enough clamps? How embarrassing! :rolf:

I have four 6' and two 4' pipe clamps you can borrow. They're cheap Harbor Freight clamps, so no charge for those. I also have four 50" parallel clamps. If you want to borrow those, it'll cost you BIG TIME. You'll need to make a donation to NCWW, or buy a calendar, or post pictures of the project, or ohhh and ahhhh over my shop :) I'm close to I-540 & Falls of Neuse, feel free to send me a PM.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Henry, on the outside chance that you don't find what you need in the Raleigh area, I've got enough to cover you. I'll loan them to a fellow NCWW member, but I won't rent them. I'm in Liberty, about 80-90 minutes west. Send me a PM if you want them.

Bill

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
You're one up on me! Well, two, actually - as I have zero (yes, 0) 4' clamps! Obviously, I can't help you :( Good luck, though...I'm sure NCWW will come through for you!

cptully

New User
Chris
I have at least 8 5' pipe clamps, not counting my Dad's collection...

Of course, just to be honest if I had to do a small project needing c-clamps, I'd have to make the same plea....

Let me know if you'd like to borrow them. I'm in Five Points.

Chris

eyekode

New User
Salem
If you said 41" I would have you covered, but I only have 4 that are greater than this :(. Good luck!
Salem

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Dag-Nab-it, I got 4 -5', 4-6' 3/4" pipe clamps that you could borrow but I am in WV. If you are doing the driving you can borrow mine also. Steve

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: oooh and aaaawww!!! Whatta shop!

How was that Bas? Or was I supposed to wait until I saw your shop to oooohh and aaaww over it? I've seen a few pictures here and I am jealous already, without having been there.

Well gentleman, THANKS for the generous offers. It looks like Chris (cptully) takes the prize for being the closest offer that is a 'one stop shop' - i.e. I can (temporarily) clean him out of his long clamp collection and have what I need to complete the project. Bas's conditions for the offer sound like terms I could live with, and although I'd love to drool in his shop, Chris in Five Points is about a half driving closer to me (I'm near Cary Crossroads).

Bas did put some pretty stringent conditions on his offer - I hope I can live up to his expectations no matter who I borrow these from.

I'll PM for details Chris thanks.

Henry

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: oooh and aaaawww!!! Whatta shop!

How was that Bas? Or was I supposed to wait until I saw your shop to oooohh and aaaww over it? I've seen a few pictures here and I am jealous already, without having been there
Sorry Henry, all oohhs and ahhhs must be made in person at the actual location. But kudos for practicing! :rolf:

Good to hear you've got the clamps covered :icon_thum :icon_thum

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Many thanks Chris!

I also was able to borrow Chris Tully's long pipe clamps yesterday.
thumbs_up.gif
eusa_dance.gif

In addition to being flexible on timing to pick these up, Chris immediately offered a shop tour. Couldn't turn that one down.

Chris has a great garage/shop space - not that jealousy crept in, no not by me. It has high ceilings, lots of floor space, windows, well constructed, and he is not even parking vehicles in there (yet? he claims that is the plan, but that aspect may never come to fruition). As always shops are a work in progress, but he has a great space now, even without any 'progress.'

That's another even more tangible demonstration of the great generosity of NCWW members!
Thanks Chris!

Henry W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS