Obligatory 1st post post

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
Hello everyone, thought I would do the polite thing and introduce myself. I've been dropping in periodically for a while but never took the time to register. I work on a ship so I go long periods of time without access to high speed internet.

I've got a background in construction but have only recently (the last 3 years) taken an interest in "wood working". I'm mostly interested in hand tools and traditional technique. I moved here (Newport News) from California 3 years ago and am still adjusting to all of the differences. The thing I like most about living here is the sense of heritage and history. Being able to buy eastern hardwoods for a lot less then they cost on the west coast isn't bad, either. Of course redwood is more expensive here though :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Derek, we are glad to have you "come out of the lurkers closet" and join us. You'll have a lot more fun participating. I assume you are in the military, and if so I salute you for your services. Thank-you.
Well I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing some pics of your work.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Derek!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Lot's of great folks, fine ideas/inspiration and good times here at the site.

Post often and feel free to show off some pictures if your work.

Stay safe!

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Derek, Glad to came out of the shadows. As you already are aware this is the best WW'ing site on the planet.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome to the East coast Derek - glad that you have joined up with us here at the NCWW - hope to see some of your work soon - :icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Derek. Lots of folks working with hand tools here, they'll appreciate having another Neander around.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile, Derek -- glad you found us and hope you stay ashore long enough to get some projects done. Let us know what you enjoy making -- we'll be happy to help with any challenges you've encountered, too!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Derek. It's great to have you here. This is a wonderful group of folks. Please feel free to jump right in. :icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Glad to know we have a source for western woods now :p

What kind of ships do you find yourself on?

Jim

D Sikes

New User
Derek
Greetings! Glad to know we have a source for western woods now :p

What kind of ships do you find yourself on?

Jim

Thanks again everyone!

I am on the Harry S Truman (Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier). I'll have to post some pics of our shops. I am in repair division, so I get to work with lots of cool stuff. Welding, Machining and even woodworking. Best job in the navy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS