Oak log sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Right you are Scott. We use hams most of the time. Not much more money for "green" hams here in Albemarle. I hope we can put this together some time this fall. Tom and I can furnish some dried hickory for coals if you want to use them. Or is your cooker a gas model?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Or is your cooker a gas model?

A gas model??? Sir - back in Texas those are fighting words! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hickory works just fine (unless you've got some mesquite hanging around). Pecan also provides an extraordinary flavor, but it's a fast burning wood and has to be replenished fairly often.

Scott

J

jeff...

Gas Grill :slap: :lol: It's wood all the way baby :-D

When's the pig roast anyways I need to mark my calender

Ivey

New User
Ivey
I could bring some hickory as well. I can hardly give it away, I just as well put it to good use..

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
No offense intended, but you didn't state how you fired that thing. Sounds like we could cook over about anything you want. No mesquite 'round here though!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Yep, I'd have done the same thing! Where is your place? I was over that way on US 1 last weekend when I picked up the bandsaw from David. Saw the New Hill sign.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Reggie, I'm off of Old US1 inbetween New Hill and Moncure, right where Beaver Creek Road dead ends into Old 1. This is about 3 miles south of Jordan Lake on Beaver Creek Road.

A good friend of mine lives in Albelmarle. Ray Smith is a General Contractor and he's in the process of building a home on top of a hill in town. Apparently there is some old farn estate that came up for sale a few years back, and he was able to buy several acres of it on the top of the hill. He showed me around the place one afternoon; it will be nice when he's done with it. All that I can remember is that there is a subdivision on one side of it (that may be outside of the city limits), and at the base of the hill on the other side are some abandoned railroad tracks.

Back to food... the nice thing about pork shoulders is that you can marinade them relatively easy due to their size, yet they are still big enough to cook up well. Another thing that's cool is that whenver you get a good group of folks together, there are always 3 or 4 different (but equally great) recipes for marinade and sauce. By cooking several pork shoulders (as opposed to half a pig), you can use several different recipes and have a nice smorgasborg of taste's to choose from.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm with you Bud! Makes me hungry just talking about it. SO, when are we gonna plan this "shoot-out?" I guess we should ask/include Tom, huh?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, the short answer is "it depends upon the size of the deer". The main cooking/smoking chamber is about 2' x 5', with a "second story rack" inside for placing chickens, sausage, etc on.

There is also a direct grill on one end, with a 2' square grilling area.

Finally, there is a smoking chamber/warmer on one end, with three racks in it.

Here's a web link to the smoker - it's a Lang Model 60 with the warmer and char grill.

http://www.pigroast.com/model60deluxe.htm

Scott

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Put me down for a fresh Shoulder or ham. It would much better when it cools off some, ya think:-D

lnelson

New User
Larry
Watch it, that line of thought got me in a lot of trouble with my wife! I agree its hard to cut and split into firewood when you know what you can do with a nice piece of oak. That logic ended me up with over 8,000 bf of lumber cut up from trees that died on our property. How much wood does a guy actually need?

Seriously, you don't mention the log diameters but you might consider taking them somewhere to have them sawn into lumber. I have never cut a log under 8' in length so I don't know if the short length would cause a problem. New to the area so I don't know who to send you to in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS