Oak log sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I have a chance to grab a few(5, to be exact) nice straight sections of oak log, recently cut, about 12" thru.
They are only about 3' long however:-(.
Similary, I can have some 4' pieces of longleaf pine, about 8" thru.

I don't suspect the pine is good for much of anything, but I thought I'd solicit any suggestions as to any usefull purpose the oak might be? I thought of splitting them in half to make fireside benches, or a couple disks cut for clocks or such, but thats about all my feeble little mind could come up with.
Seems a waste for them just to go to firewood......

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
The oak split and seasoned wouldn't be a waste as firewood if you cooked half a pig over it and invited everyone over!!!

:rolf::rolf::eusa_danc:eusa_danc:-D

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
and invited everyone over!!!

If I took enough pictures of such a gathering, I'd suspect the landlord could use them to argue for a reduction in his property taxs! Lower apprasial, ya know......;-)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have a chance to grab a few(5, to be exact) nice straight sections of oak log, recently cut, about 12" thru.
They are only about 3' long however:-(.
Similary, I can have some 4' pieces of longleaf pine, about 8" thru.

I don't suspect the pine is good for much of anything, but I thought I'd solicit any suggestions as to any usefull purpose the oak might be? I thought of splitting them in half to make fireside benches, or a couple disks cut for clocks or such, but thats about all my feeble little mind could come up with.
Seems a waste for them just to go to firewood......

If the oak is good straight grain it will make good spindles for windsor chairs-------maybe even some leg stock for the chairs. The spindle blanks need to be split out while there is still a lot of moisture in the log, also the sooner the material is split out the less chance of insect damage.

Jerry:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey, Ivey. I used to buy barbeque sauce from a place in Burgaw. Was it Mills brand? If you make a good vinegar based sauce, I'd LOVE to have a gallon and be glad to pay you for it.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Reggie, it was "Wells" I will be glad to hook you up:icon_thum oh and make sure you check the air in you're tires for Sat. morning:-D

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Looking forward to it! I may bring my trailer. Whatever, that "Goat" and its 20" tires should handle the load!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Now back to this "pig thing!" Did we get a date set? I'd spring for some chickens for those who don't eat pig!

J

jeff...

Let me check on that pig tomorrow, I used to know a good place to get them but I'm not sure if they are still in business...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Re meat sources, Williams Grocery in Apex is a good source, and there is also a place on 421 near Clinton - can't think of the name right now, but can dig it up if needed.

Rather than half a pig, getting a few pork shoulders may be a good option. My cooker will hold at least 6 shoulders plus a couple of dozen chickens.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Nahunta pork center 2 locations one in Nahunta of course and one in raleigh

Nahunta Pork Center Outlet
In Raleigh, NC Is Located
At The NC State Farmers Market
Off I 40 West Bound Exit 297
Right Onto Lake Wheeler Rd. North

Everyone around here says there the place to go.
But I have never been there as I dont really like pig:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors