Norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Most, if not all, woodworking shows are sponsored or heavily subsidized by woodworking tool manufacturers and the odd store here and there (like Woodcraft). As such they're going to showcase their products and has been mentioned before they are basically infomercials. Given the narrow population these programs are going to appeal to anyway this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

We should probably be glad for what content showcasing hand tool skills actually does show up in those programs. A surprising amount does.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it would be great to do some "spots" like it would have been good to have video from the extravaganza and feature NCWW...

Then some of the "Learning days" videotaped might be cool too!

Just a thought

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
no stinking way man!:swoon:

Sure I can see it now "Garage Workshop with Master Craftsman FredP" You can build faster than Norm - trust me I witnessed your lightening speed first hand... First episode "Today we are going to take this pile of rough cut lumber and build a dinning room, with table 6 matching chairs, a hutch and sideboard in 30 minutes."

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Sure I can see it now "Garage Workshop with Master Craftsman FredP" You can build faster than Norm - trust me I witnessed your lightening speed first hand... First episode "Today we are going to take this pile of rough cut lumber and build a dinning room, with table 6 matching chairs, a hutch and sideboard in 30 minutes."

:rotflm:

Mr Woodie

New User
Woody
What I learned from his show...
You can't do ANYTHING without a $100,000 shop full of power tools.
Plywood and screws are better than any museum piece of furniture.
You need at least ten routers.
You can finish any project in 30 minutes.
A little glue and a few brads will hold anything.
Chisels are for removing excess glue, they have no other purpose.

What I learned:
Having the proper tools makes it easier

Plywood and screws work just fine.

Having a bunch of routers makes it easier

In 30 minutes, Norn can show you how to do it

Chisels work for removing glue, and you don't need them for every project.

DWSmith

New User
David
When I worked for Ryobi in the 90's, I met a sales rep for Delta by the name of Scott Box. (I believe at one time Scott was one of the top executives for Steel City Tools.) He handled a large area of the northeast and was the rep who got all the tools for Norm and The New Yankee Workshop and This Old House. He was even seen in one episode where Tommys brothers house burned and they set up a shop in a hut behind the house.

Now I know this will be met with jeers but I listened to the Delta reps and all laughed at Norm. Yes his show was a salesman for Delta but Norm did little of the work except on screen employing a crew of workers to do the design work and the actual build. Norm was the person in front of the camera and the spokesman for Delta and Porter-Cable. He actually took credit for introducing biscuit jointers to the USA saying they wouldn't be here unless he had one on his show.

His replacement, Tommy McDonald isn't someone I waste time watching. I don't like his attitude to those who are his guests and his staccato delivery makes me nervous. His show could disappear and I wouldn't be disappointed.

My 2 cents worth!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
His replacement, Tommy McDonald isn't someone I waste time watching. I don't like his attitude to those who are his guests and his staccato delivery makes me nervous. His show could disappear and I wouldn't be disappointed.

My 2 cents worth!

Here is 4 cents for that thought!!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

and next week in the "Garage Workshop with Master Craftsman FredP" we'll take this other pile of rough cut lumber and build a platform king size bed, matching 7 drawer chest, dresser, mirror, two night stands and a blanket check in 30 minutes so stay tuned...

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
All in all, I enjoyed watching This Old House and the NYW. Yes, NYW seemed to have some flaws and excessive tools, but the shows seemed to make woodworking approachable for me, enough to begin trying some small projects and build upon the meager skills I learned many years ago in high school woodshop. The shows also sparked my interest in getting subscriptions to woodworking magazines and begin reading books. It has been a great hobby for me and something I enjoy. When comparing shows, I always seemed to remember more from Norms show and was eager to ensure I watched it, rather than others like The Router Workshop. Norm sparked a lot of life into woodworking, just as Bob Vila sparked a lot of life into home improvements.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I learned a few things from old Norm. Among these are:

I never met a power tool I didn't like.
As for screws & nail guns - If it don't have a trigger I don't use it.

The ARE GOOD THINGS!

Pop G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS