News was not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I spent 3 hrs in surgery today as a result of the tablesaw accident. Both the tendon and a nerves(s?) were cut. There was so much damage that neither could be reattached. I will never be able to bend the joint below the thumbnail again and part of the thumb will have no feeling. The joint where the thumb attaches to the hand was not affected so I will have use of that so I should be able to grip things. A big price to pay for a brief lapse in concentration but, as my wife was driving me home, I saw a paraplegic rolling down the sidewalk in his motorized wheel chair. I told my wife that things could be much worse. I always try to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. I don't know when it will happen, but that chest of drawers I was working on will be completed. :thumbs_up

I really appreciate the concern and prayers of so many of you, It really helps.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Stuart, if there is any bright side to this, it is that you will have some use of your thumb. I lost the first knuckle on my right index and middle fingers in 1993 in a wood splitter accident. It takes a while to adapt, but you will adapt in time. It is amazing how the mind adapts to physical changes in the body. Hope you heal quickly.

R

rickc

Sorry to hear about the partial loss of the use of your thumb. As was said earlier, it will probably take a while, but you will adapt - you're a bright man. Now I hope it will heal quickly and you will be up and around quickly.

Guess you will need to focus upon jigs to help compensate - but I know you can do it!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Stuart I hate to hear you will not get full use back. It is good to see you have a positive attitude about it, thats half the battle. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Stuart, was sorry to hear about the accident and also that they weren't able to salvage it as was originally hoped. It sounds like you've got a very positive attitude and outlook concerning the injury though and that will benefit you greatly.

Coming from a family where both parents are missing parts of digits I know first hand it can be a trying and frustrating recovery. Just take your time and let it heal, we'll all pulling for you.

Brian.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm sorry to hear about you thumb, as Tracy said you will adapt. I am so grateful that my finger healed as well as it did. I know how you feel about it could have been worse.

Our Boy Scout leader had an accident when he was a teenager and lost his thumb and part of the first finger. He has done pretty well with only four fingers, but a couple years ago they decided to graft his finger to the thumb bone. He has a lot better grip and control now. Still he tells the boys it would have been a lot better if he had paid attention and not been stupid when he was young.

I try to be more careful, take breaks, watch everything and still catch myself doing things I shouldn't.

You be sure and keep that thumb clean and dry until it is healed, there are some nasty germs going around now!

I'll be sure and say a word or two for ya. :eusa_pray

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I too am sorry to hear the bad news. On another front, if you need an extra pair of hands to help finish the chest of drawers while you heal send me a PM.

Doug

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Stuart: Sorry the news is not better. But, as you said, we don't have to look very far to see someone who is much worse off than we.

I try to thank God every day for the health that I have and ask Him for His grace and healing powers going forward.

Hang in there, Brother. You'll persevere.

:icon_thum

charlie s

New User
Charles
Stuart:

I'm very sorry to hear the news about the thumb, but I can already tell from your post you're going to be fine. You'll adapt and deal with the adjustment with the positive attitude you have.

I don't know if you watched the series "Ax Men" on the History Channel but the most prominent logger was someone who lost his hand in an accident; he actually built himself an artificial limb with a vice grip so he could still grip his chainsaw. Nothing was going to stop him and I know nothing will stop you.

Charlie

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stuart, I am very sorry to hear the news. We humans are very adaptable. Given a bit of time I am sure you will be back in the shop doing what you did before. To echo Doug, you have lots of friends out here willing to help in any way. Keep the chin up.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Hang in there. I know it is a lot to think about. But, like everyone has written, you will learn to deal with it. Your attitude seems good - things could always be worse. Keep that attitude and it will all work out.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
So sorry to hear the results of your surgery, Stuart.

With your positive attitude, drive and will to get back into the sawdust; I am sure that you will do just fine.

Once more. If you could do with some assistance in the shop, please don't hesitate to holler.

Hang in there and keep the chin up!

Wayne

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I wish you the quickest healing! Best of luck!!!! A few extra prayers are sent up for ya!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Sorry about your injury!

There seems to be a lot of woodworkers getting injured lately, including my buddy, Brent, in VA. It appears most of these injuries are not people being unsafe, but just lapses in attention. Too many things going on in the world today- Iraq/Afghanistan, elections, the economy, etc. which make it hard to keep focused on the task at hand. Ya' all be careful out there!!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
"I always try to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. I don't know when it will happen, but that chest of drawers I was working on will be completed."

Stuart,
Your attitude and outward sense of hope makes not only your glass full, but makes it full for the rest of us. Your in my prayers, Jim

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Stuart,

I was in NY for the past 2 weeks. When I got home this afternoon I logged onto NCWW and read the news of your accident. I hope your recovery is quick and painless. Having had two nasty accidents myself I shuddered when I read your post. You're so right, however. It could always be worse.
I'm so glad it wasn't. Heal quick, my friend.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors