Newbie TS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Can anyone tell me why new TS's don't come equipped with a zero clearance insert from the factory?

Everything I have read indicates that you get a cleaner cut and don't have a tendency to loose narrow cutoffs down the throat of the standard insert.

I apologize if this is a very elementary question that has an obvious answer I am missing.

Thanks,

Wayne

T

toolferone

It's all about $$. Why don't they come with really great miter gauges,$$. They sell an item for what the think the customer will pay for it, and figure out how to make the most profit at the same time.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Joe! I hadn't tilted my blade all that often and it didn't dawn on me that the additional clearance would be needed.

And thankyou Tom. I also thought that marketing was a reason! - Woodworkers always looking for accessories!

Thanks again guys!

Wayne

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
its no bid deal though,,just go to walmart and pic up a plastic cutting board,,you can get a couple out of the small ones and they are super cheap compated to buying,,of course you will have to make them yoursefl,,but hey were craftsmen right?

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
yeah a plastic cutting board is an idea that I hadn't thought of, but a scrap piece of melamine does the trick for me.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I have about 4 different inserts I use for different jobs (crosscut/ripping, dado's, bevels, coves). Whatever material you use (I use plywood) make sure to add leveling screws.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Michael, that is a great idea. I had been considering one for my saw, and now I can also make a ZCI for a dado blade cheaply, too. Thanks!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
There's a lot of money made in the 'after-market' sales of add-ons, accessories, etc. But we also have a lot of fun making jigs, extensions, and accessories too.

I wonder, do we spend more time making jigs or doing work on actual projects? Jigs do give me an excuse to make sawdust between projects.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yep, cutting boards is a great idea! I tend to make ZCIs as I need them and use whatever is available, usually plywood. And you know they have to be easy if I can do it :-? I made one for regular blade, dado, and for tilting. Same applies to the mitre guage support. I've made several to accommodate 45 tilt, cutting from right mitre slots, and a somewhat fancier version with t-track for stop block.

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS