New turner in Snow Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Hi all,
I guess I better do a proper introduction before I get in trouble.:embaresse
I'm Mike P. (to avoid confusion) from Snow Hill, NC.
For those of you who haven't been lost in the middle of nowhere lately, Snow Hill is right in the middle between Greenville, Goldsboro, Kinston and Wilson.
I've had my shop set up for a little over a year now, but it's only in the last couple months that I've put in any real time on my lathe.
I've made a few nightsticks for friends, including one from Cocobolo for my Dad that really came out nice. I'm especially proud of it considering that it was only the second piece of wood to lay between the centers on my lathe!
The first piece was a block of 4x4 pressure-treated pine that I made a mallet from. It was just to get me acquainted with my tools. Plus, I needed a mallet for driving the spur center.
Anway, I'm currently hooked on bowl turning and am starting to collect and process suitable pieces for blanks. If anyone is in my general vicinity and would like to donate to the cause, please drop me an email or PM.
Well, that's about it. My shop is a mess (just the way I like it), but it has most of what I need to make an unholy amount of sawdust, so I'm happy.:gar-Bi
Now I just have to figure out how to do away with this annoying "job" problem, so I can devote my time to turning full-time!
Oh, and I have a small gas forge that I use to make knives and some tools.
Okay, that really is it...for now.
Cheers!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Mike, great to have you with us. We look forward to seeing some of your turnings and learning a thing or two from you!

Rob

New User
Rob
Welcome Mike, would love a lesson on making knives. One of those things I intend to learn how to do someday.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike P. I know where Snow Hill is. I eat dinner there once in a place called the Snow Hill Dinner. It was great food.

I am glad you found us.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
I'm registered on quite a few forums, and I can say with confidence that I've never felt more at home than right here. You people are just beyond cool.
TracyP: Learn from me? Not likely! Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. :rolleyes:
Rob: I'd love to give you a tour de forge, but I doubt I'd be much of a teacher. I'm still learning myself. I've made a few simple knives, including one RR spike knife as a graduation gift for a friend that really finished out nice. I wish I had photos to share, but the thought didn't occur to me at the time.
ScottM: Snow Hill Diner? Never heard of it. How long ago since you were here last? We did have a place called Beaman's that had decent country food, and Henry's, which was a diner. Either of those sound familiar? These days, it's just McD's, Bojangles, a couple Chinese places, Ribeye's Steakhouse, Andy's, a Mexican joint called Flama...actually, I guess we do have quite a few!
If you're in the area, drop me a line and we can do lunch or make some sawdust.:icon_thum

Thanks again for all the greetings, I'll try to make myself useful around here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Mike, and thanks for the intro. I'm a budding turner too, but if you ever want to drop by and make some shavings fly my shop door is always open. I am glad you could join us, and appreciate your participation.

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Welcome
I am not too far away, Pikeville, and I am trying to teach myself to turn.
Maybe I could pick up a few tips from you.

toolman

New User
Chad
Welcome to a great Forum. :banana:

Scott- I have never heard of it as well??? :dontknow:
Mike -Beaman's is still there across from the old grain Co. going south on 58..

Mike I live in Hookerton.. You just live about 8 miles north up by Lizzie. I live 1 1/2 miles from Hugo..

Again Welcome!!!!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
All those restaurants, and you think you are in the middle of nowhere?

You evidently ain't ever been to downtown Pilot (east of Raleigh).

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Welcome to a great Forum. :banana:

Scott- I have never heard of it as well??? :dontknow:
Mike -Beaman's is still there across from the old grain Co. going south on 58..

Mike I live in Hookerton.. You just live about 8 miles north up by Lizzie. I live 1 1/2 miles from Hugo..

Again Welcome!!!!

That Beaman's is a different Beaman's than the original Beaman's! Confused yet? me too. :rolf:

Hookerton, seriously? I drive through there several times a week. I'm maybe 5 miles from you. We should get together sometime.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Welcome home Mike! :gar-La; This is THE place to be so you can just forget those other forums you're a member of :rolf:

Seriously, you will like it here. Don't forget the number one rule though: No pictures, didn't happen! So we don't believe anything about that RR Spike knife :rotflm:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I am thinking purty soon we will have enough turners/wanna be turners in the area to get something going :gar-Bi

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWWer, MikeP!
Cool avatar :icon_thum
Roger

Thanks Roger, I like it too!
It was just some random photo I had on my hard drive that I thought looked nice. I'll get around to replacing it with a more appropriate one once I've been here long enough to feel like I deserve a 'real' one. :icon_scra

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Welcome home Mike! :gar-La; This is THE place to be so you can just forget those other forums you're a member of :rolf:

Seriously, you will like it here. Don't forget the number one rule though: No pictures, didn't happen! So we don't believe anything about that RR Spike knife :rotflm:
I agree on all counts. Thankfully, none of the other forums are wood-related (except for Bowyering), so there won't be a conflict of interest.:icon_cheers

As for the photos, again I agree. Check my member gallery, there's a couple shots of a few knives I've worked on recently.

Thanks again to everyone for the more-than-warm reception. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors