New to the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hello all----I just recently registered as a member of the NCWW site and would like to share some of my background.

Born and raised in Rowan county------have lived within a 10 mile radius all my life.

Most of my working life was spent as a bricklayer. I also spent 5 years with a millwork company as supervisor over the moulding operation, yard and warehouses. The past 12 years I have been living a long time dream of working in my own woodworking shop. Marketing has been through galleries and craft shows. I also have been teaching a tablemaking class at John C Campbell Folkschool since 1999.

I received the Regional Artists Projects Grant through the Arts Council in 2000. I used the funds to do a 1 week workshop with Michael Dunbar to learn how to do the sack-back windsor chair. I also used some funds to develop a web site(which I dropped after about 3 years). I never dreamed I would meet Dunbar and Rudy Osolinik within 6 months time.

I am presently a juried member of the Albemarle Craftsman's Guild in Pasquotank county.

Windsor chairs are the top of the line in the items I do. I also do tables, some reproductions, chess sets, chess/checker boards, cribbage boards, backgammon boards, blanket chests, quilt racks, etc. I take whatever job comes along as long as I feel it is within my ability.

In the furure I want to hone my skills in turning bowls and vessels, finishing methods, and try to do some of the things in woodworking I have yet to attempt. I enjoy a challenge.

My current projects are reproducing an old high chair(4 of them) and building my first windsor writing-arm chair(I have 3 in progress). Hope at least one turns out good.

Thanks for letting me rattle on-----I believe this group of people have a good thing going with this site.

Best wishes to all, Jerry

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! That's quite an impressive resume. Please request a photo album and share pictures of your work with us. We're nuts about pictures (no pictures - it didn't happen :lol: ). I'm sure you will find us to be a very friendly and helpful group. Enjoy the site.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard and very impressive. Would love to see pics of works in progress and complete projects. I have yet to make a chair (besides an Adirondack). I have been drooling over the ones some of the other members have been making.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thank you Cathy-------one thing I am not is a computer guru!!! I will try posting some images when I am more familiar with the site.:lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Jerry! Obviously you've been maximizing your opportunities :icon_thum

Look forward to your input.

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

Welcome, Jerry. Sounds like you're well entrenched in the joy of woodworking and have developed some great skills. We would all be interested in seeing pics of your Windsor chairs and your other projects, too. After you request a photo gallery, be sure to check out the FAQs forum and review the Photo Gallery threads there. We are here to help if you need. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you -- you'll really enjoy this place...

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, I will second the comments of an impressive resume':eusa_clap Chairs are by far the most difficult woodworking projects IMO they're so thin and finely constructed but they have to hold up to several hundreds of pounds at a time. I am not a person who you would consider computer savoy but I can post pics. If you can take them and get them off the camera to your computer then you can post them. Let me know if you have any questions on the subject. I look forward to your input in the forums.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jerry, welcome to NCWW. I look forward to reading your input to the forums as well as seeing some of your work.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome from another NC Native! It sounds like you have a ton to offer the site. I hope you find many ways to contribute. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your chairs. We have a far number of excellent turners here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS