New shop planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have run out of room for new toys/tools. My current shop is under the deck and is only 12 x 40 with a 6'6" ceiling height. The area is fairly full of tools so I have to continually rearrange everything depending on the project. It is time to build a bigger shop.

I have an area in the back that will support an outbuilding without having to remove any mature trees. I am thinking of a 24 x 32 base building with a 6 x 16 storage room off the back.
The site slopes about 6 feet down from front to back so I am planning on building on piers with a wood floor system. Still trying to decide if I should use a traditional 2x8 16oc floor system with a center beam or if I should use floor trusses. The flooring will probably be 1" t&g Advantek sheets.

The walls will be 10' 2x4 with T111 siding, insulation and sheetrock. The roof will be a stick-built modified hip with ceiling joist at 12" aff.

The storage room will house the dc system, air compressor and misc tools and supplies including a no-freeze cabinet for finishes and glues.

The main area will have all the normal stationary tools and benchs including one of Alan's assembly tables that I cannot wait to build, plus some vertical storage for wood and a sheetgoods cart.

Instead of a separate finishing room, I think I am going to use some movable partitions.

The electrical service will be underground 100 amp feed from the 400 amp MDP at the house. Heat will be from a wood stove and cooling will be a small split system with the air handler under the floor.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm a big advocate of doing 9' ceilings in shops. 92" studs are readily available, & most all drywall suppliers stock drywall in 4 x 9 for commercial purposes to stand vertically. If you would rather lay the drywall down, 54" wide x 12' is also available. I prefer to stand mine because end butt joints are a PITA.
Get quotes on 2 x 8 vs. trusses. For that floor system you'll need 72- 2 x 8 x 12' Compare that with 17- 24' trusses with 64' of rim band LVL and a delete of the center piers. You can spread the trusses to 24" o.c. with the 1" Advantek.
Keep us posted on progress.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm a big advocate of doing 9' ceilings in shops. 92" studs are readily available, & most all drywall suppliers stock drywall in 4 x 9 for commercial purposes to stand vertically. If you would rather lay the drywall down, 54" wide x 12' is also available. I prefer to stand mine because end butt joints are a PITA.
Get quotes on 2 x 8 vs. trusses. For that floor system you'll need 72- 2 x 8 x 12' Compare that with 17- 24' trusses with 64' of rim band LVL and a delete of the center piers. You can spread the trusses to 24" o.c. with the 1" Advantek.
Keep us posted on progress.

I am going to get a quote for both floor systems, I suspect the truss system will be about the same price with a lot less labor. With a single 9 1/4 x 1 3/4 LVL rim beam could I space the piers 8' apart?
Thanks phil

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your supplier should have span tables for that but I'd keep the spans to under 6'-8" I assume you're using masonry piers & supporting the trusses on the rim band with truss clips/saddles. Most trusses are designed to bear on a continuous support system like a basement wall or top plate so they need to be supported rather well for a 24' span. They'll probably recommend you double the rim band at the joist ends. And don't forget uplift. You'll need to anchor the floor system to the joists unless you want to end up killing some wicked witch's sister, AKA 'The Wizard of Oz'.

T

toolferone

My first thought is to put a 200 amp service. The cost difference up front is nothing compared to upgrading later. Will you have the room to run dust collection under the floor? I have very tall ceilings and love them.

I will let you and Dennis cover the floor, you all are way over my head.

THE MAIN ADVISE IS TO FINISH ALL THE BUILDING BEFORE YOU MOVE TOOLS IN!!! damhikt!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, I am in the process of designing and have blueprints made for a shop very similar. One of the MANY things I have learned are engineers are as concerned with wind lift as they are with vertical weight on piers.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow Phil, exciting! I know how full your current shop is, a 24x32 space is going to be phenomenal! I know very little about framing, but floor trusses would seem ideal if you want to run electrical/ dust collection piping/ compressed air through the floor - no holes to cut.

+1 on what Tom said - finish everything before moving stuff in. That includes building shop cabinets...

What are you going to do with the space underneath the deck? Convert into your mad scientist lab?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow Phil, exciting! I know how full your current shop is, a 24x32 space is going to be phenomenal! I know very little about framing, but floor trusses would seem ideal if you want to run electrical/ dust collection piping/ compressed air through the floor - no holes to cut.

+1 on what Tom said - finish everything before moving stuff in. That includes building shop cabinets...

What are you going to do with the space underneath the deck? Convert into your mad scientist lab?

After I clear out my old shop I should have room for a new canoe mold, the 1/3 scale FokkerD-VII that I have planned for some time and the Porsche 913 that is still waiting.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
+1 for 200A service. :icon_thum
You won't regret it. Only gonna bury it once, so make it count! Good luck on the build!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I will let others deal with structural issues. One thing that will be in my new shop (if I ever build one) are sky lights. You would be amazed at the additional natural light they bring in. just don't try the home made route like dad did building his shop. they let in plenty of light but did not take long to start leaking. Mom spent about 20 times the many repairing the water damage than it would have cost to buy the skylights.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
200amp service most definitely. skylights, windows and many light fixtures. if there is a chance of burglars (12gauge shotgun) or steel bars on windows. my shop has no windows or skylights but i will be adding some windows eventually. you will not regret the 200 amp service. steve

Glennbear

Glenn
The only thing I can add to the sage advice already given is that I went with OSB interior walls painted white in my 24x24 shop. I feel that OSB is less subject to damage from an errant board and I have never regretted my choice. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors