New purchase of Miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Larry,

I have a Makita (LS 1013) sliding compound saw in my own shop and love it. It's accurate and gives repeatable cuts. I'd highly recommend this one. I also use DeWalt saws on job sites and found them very good too. The DeWalts get fairly well abused on the job sites and do not suffer for it. Both are well built.

Ray

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have the Bosch CSMS, 12", with laser. I am completely happy with this saw. Just saw a review in one of the rags and Bosch rated very favorably. Love the fence, stops, etc. I'd give this one a serious look.

Ordered mine on Amazon and it arrived in about 4 days. Out of the box, the saw was spot on, required no adjustments. Cut's 4 X 6's with ease. Probably would do even better with a better blade.

JM2CW

:wsmile:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a Dewalt Compound Miter Saw and a DeWalt Sliding Compund Miter Saw. Althought the SCMS is nice, it takes up a lot of space. I would recommend looking at how deep space wise whatever you get is going to take as it may be an influencer on your decision.

Hmmm... When I typed this response, I used abbreviations (SCMS and CMS) and the system automatically expanded the first iterations, but didn't on the second "SCMS". To make it worse, it spelled compound right once and wrong once

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I don't have it, but have seen it in action .... and that is the Hitachi slider. It has a unique sliding mechanism that can be controlled for how much space it takes up (so you can set it shallow for normal use)

http://www.tools-plus.com/hitachi-c12lsh.html
toolsplus_2000_235354312

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have a Hitachi 10" SCMS and I really like it but the space issue is one to consider. I replaced a Delta CMS with it and the flexibility is night and day. Hope this helps.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I love my 10" hitachi, at least I did before my son borrowed it and has yet to return it.
It is extremely accurate, light weight, soft start, comes with a pretty good quality blade (which my 12" hitachi did not) and best of all, reasonably priced compared to the bosch or makita. The only drawbacks that I can think of are: (1) the laser is mounted under the blade so that it is not visible once you begin to lower the blade but by then you are committed anyway and (2) the handle is purely vertical which is not as comfortable as the horizontal.

my 2cents.

thesource

New User
Rick
I got this in my email today.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Out These Money-Saving Miter Saw Deals[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C12LDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Laser and Digital Miter Bevel Display[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$755.56[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$319.95[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C12LSH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter saw with Laser Guide and Digital Bevel Display[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,319.58[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$569.95[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Makita LS1013FL 15 Amp 10-Inch Dual Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser and Fluorescent Light[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$974.00[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$499.00[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C10FSB 12 Amp 10-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$945.09[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$439.95[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C10FSH 10-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,015.00[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$447.84[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Makita LS1214FL 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser and Fluorescent Light[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,115.00[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$629.99[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C12FCH 15 Amp 12-Inch Compound Miter Saw with Laser[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$511.11[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$269.99[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hitachi C10FCE2 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$263.34[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$129.00[/FONT]
I have the 12" bosch slider. It's really a nice saw. Put a good blade on it though, whichever one you choose.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Larry, I have a very old DeWalt Compound Miter Saw. I would highly recommend it. I've cut rough stuff and fine pieces and it can handle both with ease.

It is a refurbished unit with which I've had no problems at all.

The only drawback is that the blade changes are a little bit of a pain.

Good luck,
Jim

dtprice

New User
David T. Price
I just purchased a Bosch 10" slider a couple of weeks ago. I made bevel and miter cuts with it on small parts for a music box. This is one smooth saw.

David:thumbs_up

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
Some great saws you guy have! I like the look of that Hitachi C12LSH, but $600...that's a lot of cash (and then another $175 for a stand).

Anyone know anything about the "Evolution 10" Rage 3 CSMS" at Sears? (I actually don't know if I can bring myself to buy a tool called "Rage 3"--honestly, is "rage" really an appropriate frame of mind when using a saw??)

Sounds like lots of y'all have sliding compound miter saws already. What's the most important thing--the compound part or the sliding part (or the 12" vs. 10" part)? The csms's are pretty steep! Right now I just have a beat up old 10" miter saw. If you could upgrade just one thing, what's the most useful thing (for "multiple application use")? I'll be using mine first on a construction site (to build a new barn), and then to build a deck, and then to use in the barn/workshop for...well, all sorts of things...everything from picture frames to furniture.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
Hitachi has a refurb area on their website that has prices better than I have seen anywhere and their shipping is very low as well.

The slider will give you the ablilty to groove (read dado without a dado blade) that I find really handy on site. It will cut MUCH wider stock which is why you really dont need the large blade size unless you are cutting thick stock.

The down side is a very slight loss of accuracy (at least that what I hear, but I find my slider is possibly more accurate than my stationary saw).

As far as a stand, I have an HTC pm4400 from Amazon that I paid around 90.00 for and even though it takes a few more minutes to set up it is a pretty good site stand for the money but I would change the wheels on it and the little thumb depression locks are a PITA.

This is one of those tools that, after you get it you'll wonder how you did without it.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Brent: I wouldn't buy a "Evolution 10" Rage 3 CSMS"..whatever the heck that is.

There are too many good brands out there to take a chance.

As far as CMS versus SCMS - it's all a function of how large a piece you need to cut versus the size of your wallet. For example, my 10" SCMS will cut a 4x12 (nominal) in one pass. I think a 10" CMS will cut a 4x6 max. And to some degree, how much floorspace you have - the 12" SCMS are pretty big.

The scenarios you want to think through are: will you be doing work with wide stock ? Will you be installing wide crown and baseboard ? Etc.

-Mark

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I just bought a 12 inch CMS (non-slider) double bevel Hitachi from reconditioned tool sales for $149. It will only cut 8 inch cross cuts in 1 inch stock but it takes up a lot less space than a slider and cost a lot less. It is a very nice saw -especially for the money.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS