new planer sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
after spending a couple of nights face jointing boards by hand that were too big for my 6" jointer, i decided to re-enter the 21st century and build a planer sled. Build is a rather loose term as this is about the simplest jig I've made. There's lots of versions I found online that I used as inspiration It's a 4' x 11" piece of melamine with a cleat screwed into one side. I made some 15 degree wedges to act as shims, held in place by carpet tape where needed (~every ft or so). Sorry I forgot to photo a wip

IMG_27641.jpg

View image in gallery

I was amazed at simply well this contraption worked. It was taking me about 40min to joint a walnut or cherry board 8" x 42" and I only had the energy for one per night. With this, I did the remaining 5 boards in a flash. I realize it's not a home-made jointer (causes that was cool!), but it does the trick!

Sam

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nicely done. With some of the wood I have been using lately, that sled would have come in very handy. Going to put this on my to-do list.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting! Instructions for one of these should be included with every 6" and 8" jointer.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks good, I like the use of double sided tape and wedges. When I still had my sled, I used playing cards as shims and some hot melt glue to fasten the board. Low tech works great here.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
That is pretty much the same technique I use...and about the same sled. I haven't tried anything sticky with my wedges, so you might want to try it without? I agree, it goes much quicker this way. It is also safer and at least for me, produces more consistent results.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I haven't tried anything sticky with my wedges, so you might want to try it without?
i guess i was worried they'd get bumped/ moved during the reloading from the outfeed back to the infeed. thanks for the suggestion. i'll give this try next round of boards I do.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up It works, and took longer to think up than to make. You can't beat that with a stick.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
i guess i was worried they'd get bumped/ moved during the reloading from the outfeed back to the infeed. thanks for the suggestion. i'll give this try next round of boards I do.

Yes, they will likely move about. I don't even bother trying to keep them in place. I pick up the board, shove the sled back through the planer (I have long infeed/outfeed tables) and then replace the board and slide the wedges back in place. Come to think of it, perhaps _I_ should try the sticky wedges :)

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
The first time I saw that technique was on the Finewoodworking.com website...
... never have tried it yet...

I do use a piece of carrier board with a small hook-piece glued to it to hold Thin or small pieces...

COOL way to do it!
Thanks for the reminder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors