New Pen - Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Well finally got into the workshop for 1 day last weekend (this heat is getting to be a real bummer) so I thought I would do a quick pen. The Atlas pen is one of my favorites to make but it has never sold for me (best for me has been Euro, Cigar, Baron & Classic Rollerball) so this was my last kit on hand.

Its a Platnuim finish w/wenge & black cherry.

James

Attachments

• Atlas.jpg
    Atlas.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 163

DavidF

New User
David
The picture makes it look as though it has a torch (flashlight) in the top end.....Uhm that's a thought? Somebody, going to make one.......

jimwill48

James
Yea, sorry about that! Used a scanner instead of a camera for the image - That platnium sure is shinny!

JW

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like it, but that is the most unusual Cherry I've ever seen. Is it a piece of sapwood? Or the Wenge is making it look really light?
Dave:)

jimwill48

James
A little of both, it is sapwood as I wanted it to be a good contrast to the wenge (plus I'm cheap and had some scraps of the cherry sapwood in the scrap box) plus the that wenge could make black walnut look light.

JW

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Well finally got into the workshop for 1 day last weekend (this heat is getting to be a real bummer) so I thought I would do a quick pen. The Atlas pen is one of my favorites to make but it has never sold for me (best for me has been Euro, Cigar, Baron & Classic Rollerball) so this was my last kit on hand.

Its a Platnuim finish w/wenge & black cherry.

James
The reason they don't sell is because it is an ugly design.(personal opinion)
I have made a few.
The kit was very popular when it first came out because it was the first kit with only one tube.(designed for lazy pen makers or pen makers with ADD)
I just cannot get past that ugly clunky nib.
It can be made into a 50 caliber casing pen easily and that is the only reason why I keep them on hand.
Ironically Office Depot has had a similar design intheir high end case, you know the one that locks.
All that being said your execution looks great!

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice looking pen. The Wenge really does make the Cherry stand out. When you laminate two or more different pieces of wood into a pen blank, do you have to use epoxy, or will regular wood glue work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors