New PBS Woodworking Program Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
"Rough Cut - Woodworking With Tommy Mac" is scheduled to air on UNC-TV on Satiurdays at 3 PM beginning on October 9th. It looks like it will be good.

bobby g

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks for posting that also. I was thinking about when that show is going to start just this morning. I hope it's a good show/series.

Red

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like it has potential. Thanks for the heads up. Put it on my calendar. (Now, if I can remember to look at the calendar occasionally,:BangHead: I might even remember to turn the tube on!!)

Thanks

Go

Threejs

New User
David
If I only had a TV. Hopefully, they will also post the episodes online like they do the wood wright.

jpaup

New User
JP
For those who have been awaiting this new woodworking program, "Rough Cut with Tommy Mac" the intial episode is scheduled to air on WUNC this Saturday at 3:00 PM. WUNC has this new show followed by (3:30) The New Yankee Workshop (re-runs), and season premiers for (4:00) The Woodwright's Shop, (4:30) This Old House, and (5:00) Ask This Old House. Two and a half hours of woodworking and DIY programming each Saturday! Very cool! My DVR is all programmed!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Unfortunately, WHRO here in Tidewater will not begin airing it until January :tinysmile_cry_t:

C.

DWSmith

New User
David
Just once, just once, I would like to see a show that originates here in the south. I am tired of hearing how good and fancy things are up north. We have craftsmen who are twice as talented and educated. New Yankee Workshop? Norm doesn't make his things, he has a staff that makes everything. How about a Southern Workshop? Listen up UNC-TV.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
I'm glad that there will be a new woodworking show but I must admit that I will miss Norm. He's from my hometown in Massachusetts and each show was like wandering over to watch my Uncle Nick Lalli, make sawdust. Nick, now 93 and still piddling at his lake house, was one of the old school carpenters that actually milled his trim, made doors and windows and bulit everything that was wood in the house.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Norm doesn't make his things, he has a staff that makes everything.
WRONG! What set Norm apart from other wanta be's is the fact that he designed and built both proto-type and final version. This has been his standard since day one. Look at other WW shows and look carefully at the hands, and then look at presenters hands. Sometimes they aren't the same hands.

Glennbear

Glenn
WRONG! What set Norm apart from other wanta be's is the fact that he designed and built both proto-type and final version. This has been his standard since day one. Look at other WW shows and look carefully at the hands, and then look at presenters hands. Sometimes they aren't the same hands.

Thank you for this correction Bruce, I was going to post the same until I saw that you had done so already. :wsmile:

DWSmith

New User
David

OK I can explain my statement.

I worked for most of 20 years as a power tool rep for two major companies in the southeast, Ryobi and Bosch. During that time I was around a lot of the Delta reps and became friends with many including one who was legendary, Baxter Dollar.

The first time I heard this was during a weekend show in Virginia, near the beltline. I heard Scott Box state, (Scott was at one time later on the President of Steel City Tools) with a hearty laugh, that Norm doesn't make the projects, he has a staff that does. (Scott appeared with Norm on This Old House on the Bilarica rebuild for one of Tom's brothers.) During the almost 20 years I heard this from other Delta reps as well. I also heard the same statements from upper management and two sales managers. This isn't my opinion, it is the opinion of Delta reps and one I would trust from people who worked with Norm.

magellan44

New User
magellan44
Boy, I wish they were broadcasting it in my area. Pittsburgh Pa.....I would have thought they would but I looked at the lineup and then emailed the local PBS station and I found out that it's not in their fall line up....

Maybe it will have an online site....

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
About this question regarding Norm making his own projects. According to the NYW, they say that norm makes all his own projects and he has an assistant that helps with the clean up and the finishes. Now I don't think they would say that if it wasn't true. In addition, you can go to the New Yankee Workshop and see pictures of Norm making these projects. They have a still camera that takes a picture every minute and you can see Norm working on the projects. Personally, I believe Norm makes every one of his projects.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Rough Cut started out as online only a few years back, and the site was removed when Tommy was offered a program from WGBH. Tommy was trained at the North Bennett St. School of Woodworking and he works in a classic style, alot of his work has been copes of colonial pieces. He's much better at making and designing furniture than Norm, but that being said, Norm's projects are easier to follow for the everyday woodworker.

One of the main reasons that most of these shows start up North is because of the sponsorship of WGBH which is out of Boston.

If the show is anything like the one that he had online, it will be well worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS