New Mantel and Over-Mantel

Status
Not open for further replies.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I finally finished a project nearly 4 years after I promised the LOML I would do it. When we had our house built I told the builder not to do anything with the fireplace. I intended to do the trim-work myself. Well time kind of go away from me. So at any rate I started on the project about 2 weeks before Christmas. I finished painting it yesterday. I still have to paint the wall that it is on a contrasting color to highlight it. However the fireplace itself is done.

Before.
fireplace_before.JPG

After.
fireplace_after.JPG

P.S. The Christmas Tree in the before picture is from 2 years ago when I first thought I might get around to doing the project:embaresse.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Willie,

That's awesome!! What a beautiful treatment for the fireplace, and the wall. LOYL must be pleased.

And what's wrong with only four years? :gar-La;

4yanks

New User
Willie
Are there doors????

There are no doors. The builder added the opening on his own. It seemed like the logical place to put the TV when we moved in. My wife always hated the placement of the TV over the fireplace. She didn't like the focus of the room to be on the TV. Additionally we had to crank our heads back to watch it. We moved the TV to the adjacent wall. I framed in the opening to support the wainscoting.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My daughters FP looks exactly like the one in your before picture.

(Hope that she doesn't catch me looking at this excellent modification!!!!!!!!!!)

To me. The way the builders are designing these cubby's for TV's just aren't cuttin' it.:nah:

Yours, on the other hand goes a long way to pushing up the bar on style and function.:eusa_danc

Nice work!

Wayne

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
There are no doors. The builder added the opening on his own. It seemed like the logical place to put the TV when we moved in. My wife always hated the placement of the TV over the fireplace. She didn't like the focus of the room to be on the TV. Additionally we had to crank our heads back to watch it. We moved the TV to the adjacent wall. I framed in the opening to support the wainscoting.

So you're not going take a picture witht he doors open? :rotflm: But seriously, it looks great and your reasoning for moving the TV makes perfect sense.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

It didn't look like it. It does look good, and you did a VERY nice job. What's next on the "Honey do" list?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Willie,

I had to take a double take, That after photo is very nice. 10 times better~!

YOU ROCK~!

And I agree, I hate our tv over the FP and having my head tilted back....I actually end up slouching more and my back hurt's more when I am done watching a movie.

Dragon

New User
David
Very nice job on that Willie. You did that fireplace proud and added a great focal point for the room.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Huge improvement on the mantel. And +1 on moving the TV before breaking you neck :mrgreen:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS