Need small amount of wood (Red Oak) in the Charlotte area

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
I'm building a bedroom cheval mirror, and I've come to a stopping point. I've finished the frame for the mirror, but I was stuck for the longest time on how I wanted the stand to look. Well, I've finally figured that out by creating a design in Autodesk Mechanical Desktop (AutoCad w/ 3d). See this pic: http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/9/7/7/BriansMirror.jpg . My problem is Home Depot only sells 1.5"x1.5"x36" pieces of Red Oak. These aren't long enough for my sides, as the mirror frame is 73.5" long itself. I'm in need of 1.5"x1.5"x45" or 2"x2"x45". I need the pieces planed as I do not have this equipment (at least for now...until that dreaded wood disease keeps stealing from my wallet). I wish I had a better source for wood, but it seems that Woodcraft only has rough wood that I can't do much with. Can anyone in the Pineville/Charlotte area help a poor woodworking soul? :eusa_pray If possible, I would like to watch the planing/jointing process, as I'm very unfamiliar with the equipment/process and I always like to learn more....oh, and I'll pay for the wood of course!

Thanks, Brian

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hey Brian,

I'd be glad to help you out. I live in east Charlotte and have a planer and jointer. Private Message me and we can work out a time if you want to make a trip to my garage shop.

Also ... you can pick up red oak that is not (as) rough from Lowes or Home Depot. The Pineville Home Depot has a great selection (it's one of the biggest Lowes in the area)

Jeremy

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Just one word of caution. If you actually calculated the bd ft. price of red oak from Lowes or Home Depot you will find that is pretty high. Typically about 3 times the amount that it would be from a lumber supplier or mill.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Brian--------you might try Charlotte Hardwoods for rough 8/4 Red Oak. You may not get them to cross cut a piece of 8/4 stock to short length but a full length will cost less per bd ft than HD or Lowes.

Jerry

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
If you want some real oak thats from Charlotte:) ..visit my mill in Iron Station. None of the prepackaged,high dollar oak at the borgs..I also have a small planer there to get it to thickness for you.

BTW.. I have some 8/4 ASH for 2.50/bf..

hannah01

New User
Joe
If all else fails, perhaps the guys at Woodcraft would plane and joint it for you? :eusa_thin I have no idea if they will, but the one in Greensboro has the equipment to do this. Strike up a conversation, maybe they will. :)

P.S. The Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville will mill your lumber for you and they have a great selection. A fair drive for you, but seeing their operation and inventory is worth it. Plus you could always stock up on some other lumber...:oops:

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Kyle said:
If you want some real oak thats from Charlotte:) ..visit my mill in Iron Station. None of the prepackaged,high dollar oak at the borgs..I also have a small planer there to get it to thickness for you.

BTW.. I have some 8/4 ASH for 2.50/bf..

The BORGS are highly priced ... but I think that was an obvious assumption. Wood Craft in Matthews has decent prices, but I think Kyle could work a better deal any day of the week.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
I checked with Woodcraft on planing and jointing, but they say that they don't do this. They gave me a card for someone who can, but I like the idea of getting local wood when possible. So I think I'm going to have to visit Kyle's place in a few weekends to get some wood.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Jeremy, I'll probably go up to Kyle's to get the wood, but I may still have to take you up on the offer sometime. :-D Plus it will be nice to see some other woodworkers in the area.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
<<Plus it will be nice to see some other woodworkers in the area.>>

Good idea. How about a Charlotte area get together. We could get together for a brew after work one evening or if someone wants to show off all their cool stuff we could schedule a shop tour or ???

pete

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Tekkadan said:
<<Plus it will be nice to see some other woodworkers in the area.>>

Good idea. How about a Charlotte area get together. We could get together for a brew after work one evening or if someone wants to show off all their cool stuff we could schedule a shop tour or ???

pete

I'm definitely up for a Charlotte get together.

I'm uptown all week and live in down in Marvin.

2slow

New User
chris
I highly recommend Kyle. He has some really nice lumber and he’s a super nice guy. It sounds like you’ve got the planning and jointing covered, however if you need any help and don’t mind the drive to Concord let me know.

Chris

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Kyle said:
I opt for the flying saucer..great brew selection..

If anyone in the Charlotte area wants to get together, possibly over a brew, I'm in! Just need a couple days notice (and the hope that I'm not traveling that day with work).

The Flying Saucer is a great place ... I agree ... and would be a prime meeting place.

Any ideas on when you would want to do this?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
OK - Where's the Flying Saucer?
How are your schedules for next week?
We should probably pick a date and start another thread.

pete

bpeterso

New User
Brian
You guys hijacked my thread! :lol: I'll be out next week on vacation...so it looks like I'll miss out. Maybe we should create a new forum section for "Meets/trips/drinking/getting in trouble w/ LOML" section. :drunken_s Maybe it doesn't need to include the last part.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
bpeterso said:
You guys hijacked my thread! :lol: I'll be out next week on vacation...so it looks like I'll miss out. Maybe we should create a new forum section for "Meets/trips/drinking/getting in trouble w/ LOML" section. :drunken_s Maybe it doesn't need to include the last part.

I'm creating a new thread called "Charlotte Area After-hours Get Together" to see who's in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS