Need help modifying a sawstop table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
I have a Sawstop table saw and need help modifying the polycarbonate blade guard so I can come up with a way to improve the dust collection of this thing. I am looking to make something like this:

http://www.leestyron.com/sawstop/ss0.jpg

Does anyone in the Cary/Raleigh area have any experience with modifying a blade guard, and if so would it be worthwhile to do this, or would it just be better to purchase the Shark guard, or something similar? I am starting to develop allergies to wood dust (sinusitis type issues), so I really want to make my shop as dust free as possible.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
It's hard to beat Lee Styron's Sharkguard stuff. Top quality and worth lots more than what you pay for it if you don't want to ruin your OEM blade guard.

It can be done with a large (~4" diameter) Jiff peanut butter jar and some surgery on your blade guard. Go to the photo galleries and search for "Peanut". Member rausrh has documented how he adapted his for an overhead dust collector similar to Lee's.

Rumor has it that Sawstop is coming out with a bladeguard/dustcollector accessory for the older saws that's the same as their new one. Just need a shopvac and get 99% of the dust above the blade.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Rumor has it that Sawstop is coming out with a bladeguard/dustcollector accessory for the older saws that's the same as their new one. Just need a shopvac and get 99% of the dust above the blade.

Yeah, I've been talking to Sawstop for the last several months, and they keep pushing back the date they expect to release their version of bladeguard/dust collector.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Can't go very wrong with a shark guard. I've given up my excalibur overhead and recently ordered the sharkguard for my PM2000

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
I noticed one of the differences between the Sawstop version and Shark guard is the size of the dust collection Port. The Shark guard has a 2 1.2" port, the Sawstop version is 1 1/2". I wonder how much of a difference this will make?

Just talked to sawstop this morning and was told the same thing they told me 6 months ago, that it will be ready in 1-2 months.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
According to what I read and witnessed at a demo, the design of the SS bladeguard and velocity of the airflow has more to do with bladeguard dust collection than the hose diameter. (I'm sure that someone will stand up on some kind of soapbox and give me a tongue lashing quoting Mr. Pentz, but I'm just saying what I read and saw) There was no dust on the top of the saw after the demonstrator sawed a ~24" piece of 3/4 MDF. I was impressed. If my memory is correct, the main dust collection hose in the base is 4".

tommyt654

New User
tommyt654
I,d be leary of making any modification to a Sawstop period. With Stephen Gass,s current involvment in lawsuits against other tablesaw manufacturers I would be hesitant as he may find cause to void any warranty and reliability of safety features based on any modifications made to his personally designed equipment. Your just setting yourself up for a possible infringment of technology from his perspective. Just my opinion though:eusa_booh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors