Need a tree cutter and free wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am finally getting ready to break ground on my new shop , but first I need to safely drop a few trees. Can anyone suggest a good/cheap tree man in the Northeast Raleigh area. All I need is for them to drop a couple of pines and a few hardwoods. They will not have to remove the wood - just get it down safely.

The photo below is a very unique maple which should produce some very figured bowl blanks. I sure could use some insight as what length I should cut this into and do I need to protect the ends from drying to fast.
Shop_tree.jpg

View image in gallery

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
E-mail sent. are there any obsticals in the way? houses ect....? If not I can drop em. you may want the stumps removed.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You need to seal the logs or blanks you cut from the maple with AnchorSeal. I can spare some; I got more in the group buy a while back than I will use for some time. It is tough to say about size. If you are sure bowls are the intended use, I would probably cut fairly short lengths, especially if you will rough turn them.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Just had 4 trees taken down in my back yard last week. Scott did a great job, was very reasonable and a nice guy as well. Here is his info:

Scott Traynor
Traynors Tree Trimming
(919) 362-6228
Email: straynor@nc.rr.com

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If you're wanting to save them for bowl blanks, cut them at lengths equal to about twice the diameter of the tree. That'll give you 1/2 of the diameter on the end to lose to cracking. Cut them to length, slice them in half to remove the pith and seal them as quickly as you can.

Best of luck!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
DANG,I would love to have a 4ft log out of that maple. :gar-Bi I'm just to dang far away,or I would be glad ta drop em for ya :gar-Cr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors