NCWW 2008 Calendars are READY

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
NCWW 2008 Calendars are READY:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

For the winner's:eusa_clap:eusa_clap, you will get one automatically as part of your prize package:eusa_danc 2 for Chris, becuase he won cover too. And 2 for Monty becuase he ran the contest, edited the pictures, etc. Thank you very much , Monty, for a wonderful job:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

For those who would like to order their own, go here

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Have we considered making a similar calendar and just putting in in PDF for members to download for free and print themselves? Nowadays many of us have these fancy color laser and inkjet printers and could print something nice and save $15 (+shipping).

Woodsmith does something similar each year and it's always a nice calendar (see http://www.woodworkingonline.com/calendar)

Monty

New User
Monty
Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to all who participated in the contest - it was really fun!

Jeremy - that's a good idea, too.

T

toolferone

I just ordered mine!! I am honored to have it hanging in my shop.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Have we considered making a similar calendar and just putting in in PDF for members to download for free and print themselves? Nowadays many of us have these fancy color laser and inkjet printers and could print something nice and save $15 (+shipping).
Actually, I sold color printing products for a few years, and can confidently say that anyone using a home/office type inkjet printer will easily go through more than $15 in ink printing full page photos, and more if you print it on photo quality paper and choose to have the local office/copy shop bind it for you. which means you will spend more than the $15 and shipping costs on this calendar

Laser color printers are only a little more cost effective per print, when you consider the toner cost and wear on the drum. Each color laser print actually requires 4 impressions from the drum. This means the color laser copy requires a total of 55 impressions for the calendar. I forget what the average impression cost is, for a home office size printer, but you are still paying about $8 for the letter size photo paper, and $2 for binding, which means the home office laser printer user will still spend nearly $15 for a calendar that is smaller than the one published for us by Cafepress, and the home user can't print full-bleed, meaning edge to edge, because most home printers will not accept 9X11.5 inch paper, and then also don't have the equipment to neatly trim the printer product down to 8.5X11.
not even thinking about the problems with running color through the HOT fusing unit a FIFTH time to print the calendar on the reverse side. Color and double sided laser printing are not exactly friends.

commercially these things are done on presses, though who is to say CafePress wants to setup the press multiple times for a small job like this?

shhheeesh. and I own a laser printer (original retail was tooo much-good to have been in the business), which has sat in the garage for the last few years, because I haven't ordered the finishing unit, a $105 part..... Wear and tear items can eat you up on these things. :(

Last edited:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Got mine on order.
I have used this site (cafeexpress) before for another business that I had.
Works very well.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Peter..that's some great information and answers some questions I have had outside of this site...thanks for sharing your expertise.

Chris

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great info Pete! But since CafePress does so many short runs. I'd bet they are using a digital press. Running four-up sheets, front and back are a piece of cake for them. They are very cost effective for up to 5000 or so copies. Traditional presses are more efficient for large runs, the larger the better. Setup cost for traditional presses make them inefficient for small runs.

Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just to state the obvious, all fo the pictures are in the gallery. Anyone is welcome to download them and make their own calander.

The only caveat is that they are NOT to be sold.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
For those ordering a lot from CafePress, use the discount code JINGLE50 and receive FREE SHIPPING on orders more than $50.

Do I hear a group buy? Charlotte-area crew want to make this happen?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Not if I print it and bind it at work :eusa_danc

hey, that's kind of cheating... but your color copier supplies guy really likes you , tho:lol:

just as I got out of the business we started carrying a great product for perfect binding for the small office, actually developed/made by an outfit from Charlotte.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Great info Pete! But since CafePress does so many short runs. I'd bet they are using a digital press. Running four-up sheets, front and back are a piece of cake for them. They are very cost effective for up to 5000 or so copies. Traditional presses are more efficient for large runs, the larger the better. Setup cost for traditional presses make them inefficient for small runs.

Roger

yup, digital presses are cool, but outside of my technical range. The B&W and Color products that I sold weren't intended for that kind of production environment, back then, the most paper I could load in a color machine was about 2500-3000 pages, and the fastest speed we had was about 16 pages per minute, but that would really be highlight color, not photo type images which would take longer to process (rasterize?), though using RIP-once technology certainly improves the perceived speed for multiples.. My biggest B&W digital copiers/printers could have a throughput speed of 210 pages per minute, but would run out of paper in about 30 minutes on the right print job, and somebody would have to be standing at the finisher, removing the finished jobs almost as fast as humanly possible. Presses made these things look slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS