My router is running circles around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I feel the 621 is a pretty solid router, building panels like that do require more power however, and I am on constant look out for another $80 (brand new!) pawn shop Portercable 7819/7821(model #?, 3.5 hp) for the future router table

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
It looks like you are using a pretty large diameter bit. Is that required for the jig? You might have an easier time of it with a smaller diameter because you won't be removing so much waste material.

M

McRabbet

I agree with Steve -- try using a 1/4" bit and make multiple passes to ease the strain on the router and you'll produce a nice clean cut. Upcut spiral bits work well for this type application.

Rob

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Steve D said:
It looks like you are using a pretty large diameter bit. Is that required for the jig? You might have an easier time of it with a smaller diameter because you won't be removing so much waste material.

The jig requires a 1/4 in bit. That is what I am using. What you are seeing is an expanded pass at two different diameters. :)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
UPDATE:
Okay, so I get the circle cut to the correct diameter, on the very last pass...(queue scary music)...the @#*$% 1/4in bit snapped and the router went flying out of my hands...the piece of the bit that broke off flew into my stomach. There are no marks to photograph because I was wearing my canvas shop apron. Wheew! that's the worst thing that has happened to me so far. The flying router decided I needed a CHUNK taken out of my freshly cut stock. SOOOOooooOOOOOOOoo, I recut the stock and ended up with a pretty nice product. A little tall, but it fits the pooch nicely. I'll be using a clear finish on it.

Attachments

• Poplar Dog feeder.jpg
    Poplar Dog feeder.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Dakota checkin it out.jpg
    Dakota checkin it out.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 157

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Anna, it sounds like this project had you fit to be tied. I really like the way your dog bowl stand turned out though.:icon_thum Hopefully applying the finish will be less troublesome for you.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Has Murphy been hanging out in your shop? 'Cause it seems that his laws are ruling. "What can go wrong will:BangHead: :BangHead: " I am just gald that you didn't get hurt and your dog can finally eat with his head held high. You will be amazed at what elevating your dog's bowl will do to his gas potential, now you have no one to blame it on:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
DaveO said:
Has Murphy been hanging out in your shop? 'Cause it seems that his laws are ruling. "What can go wrong will:BangHead: :BangHead: " I am just gald that you didn't get hurt and your dog can finally eat with his head held high. You will be amazed at what elevating your dog's bowl will do to his gas potential, now you have no one to blame it on:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Dave, ladies do not pass gas. We just give it! :lol:
Yeah, some guy named Murphy was here last week, I gotta get rid of him. Mainly because I still have to make another one of these feeders.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Next one will be a lot easier. Just think of all you've learned this week. :icon_thum
And I've yet to cut a circle that wasn't done with a drill bit 8-O

Sapwood

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Here is another option for a circle cutter attachment for the router. I have one. It works good, very sturdy and you can use the base as a regular router base. Only problem I have found with it is: the base is black not transparent so you can't see through it while you are routing.

Glad you weren't hurt when the bit broke. I broke a 1/4" bit last year and I never did find the part that broke off. I think it went into a scrap tub I had under the router table. Now I don't put much pressure on the bit when I use a small diameter bit. :eusa_doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidF

New User
David
Just a thought - when I need to do this type of hole; I place the wood to be cut on top of another scrap piece then drill through both with say 1/8th drill then use a 1/8 pin as a pivot through both pieces. That way when the inner circle breaks loose it just spins round and no chance of damaging the outer edge. Even carpet tape can give way under rotational loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS