My latest project - A desk & bookshelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of my latest project. I just finished it tonight. This project meets four volunteer hrs. at the pool we joined last year. Too bad it took me 75 hrs to build :rolf: . They wanted a desk with a wrap-around bookcase so they could turn to the side and sort papers on top of the bookcase. Fortunately since I have way exceeded my volunteer hrs., someone else will apply the finish to it.

Amy

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 204

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Nice work! Can you tell me how much is ply vs. solid wood? Just trying to get an idea what would be normal for a project like this. Thanks!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Amy, you've been quite busy. The desk looks great, and I am sure that the pool will appreciate all the work that you put into it.
Dave:)

4yanks

New User
Willie
The desk looks great. I hope they appreciate the amount of work that you put into it. If I was you though, I would hate the thought of someone else putting a finish on my work.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The desk looks great. I hope they appreciate the amount of work that you put into it. If I was you though, I would hate the thought of someone else putting a finish on my work.

That is the same thing I was thinking...

Nice desk Amy!

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Peter, almost the whole thing is plywood. I edge banded alot of it. The only solid wood are the two legs on the right and the 3" edging around the top. I don't think I would make a top with edging like this again bc it was too hard to flush it to the plywood. It was too thick to use a flush trim bit, so I hand planed and scraped a whole lot. My finger were so sore. The reason I designed it 3" wide was to be able to bisquit join the miters.

For this project they said they wanted low cost and functional so that's what I tried to do. It was a little disappointing today when I delivered it and the president of the pool didn't even come look at it. He was doing some work on a tractor, and gave a coworker the keys to unlock the building. I'm just glad to be done with it.

I promised my husband that I wouldn't take on any new work until this summer to give us a couple of months to finish hanging OSB in the workshop and finish organizing it. Once it's cleaned up, I promise some pictures.

Amy

cskipper

Cathy
That's a great looking project! It had to have been frustrating to not have him even stop and look, but I'm sure he'll appreciate it when he sees it.

An unrelated question - are you and hubby coming to the picnic?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful work, Amy. I like the straight lines and the proportions. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think sometimes folks don't really understand how much time it takes to custom build a piece of furniture. I'll bet they will once they see your finished product!!

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks very nice Amy! I understand your disappointment and can appreciate it.

I am glad to see there is sawdust on your floor unlike some of the other members we have. Makes me realize it is not just me.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Cathy,

Yes my husband and daughters (3 yrs. & 6 yrs.) are coming to the picnic. I can't wait to meet everyone and see some of your beautiful scrollwork.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS