New User
Fern HollowMan
It started out like this:

DCP_0068.JPG

And ended up like this:

DCP_0064.JPG

Another view:

DCP_0065.JPG

There's a natural fault in the material caused I guess by teeny tiny bugs. I was scared to go any thinner for fear that it would tear out on the fault. The defect prevents this being used for liquid or my oatmeal for breakfast, but since it's my first, I'll just put in on display.

Whole lotta fun was had. Ready to do another. Wheeee, the slide to the dark side has been a wicked journey so far.

Enjoy your rainy Saturday. Nice time to putter in the shop.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nice! You have a lathe? I don't remember no lathe?

Rainy Saturday staying inside playing with the kids. Hopefully, shop time tonight!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Jim that looks great:icon_thum.If that was the first one your going to be one heck ofa turner:eusa_danc.I'm gitting a nice size cherry burl next week.Going to do my best to get before and after pics.Thats great you did that thanks.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice, Jim!!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

From firewood to a beautiful spalted bowl in one rainy afternoon! Oh my gosh. Have I got a long way to go to catch up!!:BangHead::BangHead:

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim you done REALLY good for your first time. Pine isn't an easy wood to turn (too soft) and spalted to boot :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Your bowl has excellent shape, no hole in the bottom and the figure in the wood is outstanding. Welcome to the "darkside" we'll leave the light on for you :icon_thum

Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Outstanding job Jim! You've created a pretty piece with that spalted pine. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Now what tool did you choose to ride down the slope on??? :eusa_thin

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
ALL: Thanks for the kind words. I thought it "turned" out nicely myself. This was not my first time with a gouge in my hand, but my first time trying a bowl or anything in this grain orientation. I've been playing with spindle turning a month or so.

Travis: Yeah, the HF special. I watched CL for months looking a 660v. 16hp 3-phase complete with Steve Coles style remote control push-button bi-directional electric winch to lift the totem pole blanks, but finally gave it up for the "HF on special with coupon" deal. At least to start with. Keep your eye open for some really big iron for me, OK?

Michael and Dave: That's gum, fellers. Aren't no pine. It are liquidamber what had been mercilessly severed from its roots and was left lying on the ground behind the shop for 18 months or so.

Michael: Roughing gouge and then a 3/4" gouge from the high-quality, $39 HF collection and a reground (to fingernail) 1/4" gouge from the low-quality, $10 HF collection. I've been playing around with the skew chisel and WOW does it make a racket when it catches. I was afraid to "skew around" on the bowl, so I stuck with the gouges. Oh, a parting tool to separate the bowl from the collar, and I did actually use the skew to smooth the nipple left when the parting tool nipped off the collar. But verrrry verrrry carefully.

And no, buying a HF lathe on sale with coupon, even including the $39 and $10 turning tool collections is NOT a gloat, thank you very much.

J

jeff...

Nice looking red gum you got there Jim, just about any closed grain wood is good for spalting and it's great food fer bugs too...

JRD

New User
Jim
X-Cell-Ent!

Welcome to the dark side, and remember it's our responsibility to take all those flat pieces of wood and make them round again.

Jim

sawduster

New User
Robert
Good job man ! :icon_thum I definitely see myself going there in the distant future . You guys with the spinny things really impress me :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS