My first real GLOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Dewalt DW735 Planer:
-ABSOLUTELY looks and works like new. It looks like it was NEVER used. Inside is SUPER clean and everything was with it. No outfeed table but who care ehh? $350
0309001551.jpg

View image in gallery

And now the Surprise Gloat!

Stanley No. 6 Joining Plane. Very little rust or wear. It has a fluted bottom. Price - $20

I feel truely blessed today. And the kicker, she's got a mechanic's garage full of Woodworking, Auto Repair, Machinist and Welding Tools. Especially a list of about 100 Starrett instruments. I'm gonna help her price everything in the woodworking, and she will give me dibs on anything I want at a GOOD price. About 6 more stanley planes I'm going to look at soon and who know what's in that garage. She wants me to come by sometime this week and look.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

decibel

New User
Patrick
Congrats you [STRIKE]suck[/STRIKE] rock :eusa_clap

Defintely gloat worthy now I expect to hear of more gloats from other items you pick up from her:icon_thum

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Oh and I will list some of her stuff on here if anyone is interested. I will do what I can to help her sell what she wants to and try to help my brothers and sisters on here as well.

Cato

New User
Bob
Dewalt DW735 Planer:
-ABSOLUTELY looks and works like new. It looks like it was NEVER used. Inside is SUPER clean and everything was with it. No outfeed table but who care ehh? $350

And now the Surprise Gloat!

Stanley No. 6 Joining Plane. Very little rust or wear. It has a fluted bottom. Price - $20

I feel truely blessed today. And the kicker, she's got a mechanic's garage full of Woodworking, Auto Repair, Machinist and Welding Tools. Especially a list of about 100 Starrett instruments. I'm gonna help her price everything in the woodworking, and she will give me dibs on anything I want at a GOOD price. About 6 more stanley planes I'm going to look at soon and who know what's in that garage. She wants me to come by sometime this week and look.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Congrats on your tool score!! The best deal I found on the extension tables and the rolling stand for the 735 planer, were from Grizzly.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow - great deal on the plane.:icon_thum Looks like there is a lot of steel left on the blade - if it is the original blade you got your money's worth in it alone and it says a lot about the plane's condition.

Oh yeah; the big yeller noisy thing is nice, too. :rolf:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Congrats! Thats a great deal!

Question is, why did you need that Dewalt since you got the #6 plane :p

Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
What a score!! Congrats. And thank you for helping both the seller as well as offering to help the rest of this group with additional sales / scores.

[BANANA]You rock!![/BANANA]

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Wow - great deal on the plane.:icon_thum Looks like there is a lot of steel left on the blade - if it is the original blade you got your money's worth in it alone and it says a lot about the plane's condition.

Oh yeah; the big yeller noisy thing is nice, too. :rolf:

I wouldn't know how to tell. This is my first plane that's not a $10 Block.

Congrats! Thats a great deal!

Question is, why did you need that Dewalt since you got the #6 plane :p

Jim

Cause for $20 I knew I couldn't pass it up. It's in reall good shape. Only rust I found so far is alittle on some panhead screws. When I learn alittle more about it I'm gonna take it apart and clean all the rust off if I find any.

I may be interested in some of the Starrett.

PM me with anything you might be interested in and I will get a list and some prices for you. I'll pay for it and pick it up and ship it and you guys can just reimburse me at cost (I refuse to make any profit from this, I get the pleasure of getting good deals and helping her get sold what she wants sold).

Awesome! Just Awesome! I was really hoping this one would come through for you.

Trav

Me too, I finally found something worth having for the money. Thanks guys for all the advice, I know that I don't know about what costs are buying used equipment, but thanks to you guys I finally got my 1st real quality power tool (besides my router).

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You can really only make an educated guess as to whether or not the blade is original. If the patina matches exactly or nearly so and the chip breaker has little wear it may be original.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
You can really only make an educated guess as to whether or not the blade is original. If the patina matches exactly or nearly so and the chip breaker has little wear it may be original.

I'll take some pics and get you and some of the other tool guru's take on it. The blade is sharp and has a few small nicks in it. I'm thinking this is original b/c I doubt this guy had enough time to really put this thing to use.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'll take some pics and get you and some of the other tool guru's take on it. The blade is sharp and has a few small nicks in it. I'm thinking this is original b/c I doubt this guy had enough time to really put this thing to use.
Hmmm..I know nothing about the value of plane blades, but the plane isn't contemporary to the planer. Stanley stopped making corrugated #6 planes in 1970.

If the body is painted blue, it's probably from the 1960s. If the body is painted (japanned) black, it's probably late 40s to early 60s.

Stanley introduced that style of blade in the mid 50s and continues to use it today. You can still buy one from Stanley through the power of the innerweb. Seems that the blade would have little value then, but not something I follow.

Is the age of the plane - 40+ years - consistent with what you know of the previous owner ?

Edit to add: I realized the above might sound quite negative. In reality, even if the plane came with *no blade* but was otherwise ready to work, then you got a good deal for $20.

-Mark

Last edited:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
The paint looks to be a brownish color and the stanley emblem has a yellow background. Corrugation in it looks nicely machined (I don't think it's a hack-job). Says "MADE IN U.S.A" slightly behind the front knob handle. Wood appears to be a rosewood. Underneath the blade, just before the base of the rear handle it's stamped "C-461" and right behind that stamped "C-1". Blade say Stanley on it and says made in the USA like normal stanley stuff. What doo you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS