My First Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Hi all. Just wanted to brag a little bit. I turned my first pen last night and another today. It's one of the most fun and rewarding things I've done with wood yet. It's something that everybody uses, and something that you can show off easily. I think i've figured out my Christmas gifts this year. At least, some of them. I turned a bowl too, but forgot to get a picture. Maybe later.

Here's a couple of me turning that my dad took, just to prove it really was me. Haha.

Here's the first pen. This was some of the Tiger Maple blanks.

Here's the second. This one from Cedar.

The second is by far my favorite, because of the size and the look. Hopefully I'll get better at it.

cskipper

Cathy
Good job for your first and second pens! It looks like you might want to focus a little bit on the transition at the top and nib (though it they are still probably better than my first and second). What kind of finish did you use? Are they slimline kits? I like the bulkier pen too.

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
ooh the spinny thing that makes wood round has another in its grasp...

Nice job. There is indeed a learning curve. You'll find what you like and what works for you. Just turn turn turn...
There is a world within the world at the lathe, and another world within turning pens.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Matt: Nice job, buddy. You just stay on that lathe and maybe your Dad will lose interest!!!:gar-La;

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Good job for your first and second pens! It looks like you might want to focus a little bit on the transition at the top and nib (though it they are still probably better than my first and second). What kind of finish did you use? Are they slimline kits? I like the bulkier pen too.

If I understand what your saying about the transition, I was a little disappointed with that part too. I'm guessing you're talking about the part of the pen where it meets the brass pieces. I noticed it was just a little bigger, not quite turned thin enough. Oh well, I'll know better next time. Both pens have a combination of Tung oil and BLO. The first has a CA finish, the second has polyurethane. Personally, I like the overall look of the second better. And yes, they were slimline kits. Right now I'm just experimenting, but I think I've finally found my niche.

By the way, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JJD

New User
John
I have had similar problems with transitions. The solution was so simple and was staring me in the face--calipers! I just measured the diameter of the brass ferrule and made sure that I didn't turn the wood any smaller than that....beautiful results! Sometimes it is the simple things that elude us the most :)

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Way to go there Matt:icon_thum.Those are some good looking pens.I truned my first a couple weeks ago.I've turned 3 pens and a pencil so far.And man your so right it is alot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS