my Christmas presents to the relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I am pretty happy with how these are turning out: (now let's see if I don't screw this up, after helping other people put pics in their posts?:oops:)

works in progress, waiting on the clamps and glue... need more clamps.
img%5D
WIP_waiting_on_clamps.jpg

yellow and purple heart cooking up

work_in_progress.jpg

finished product:

finished_and_oiled.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice Pete, Purpleheart (Peltogyne spp.) and Yellowheart/Pau Amarello (Euxylophora paraensis) really look sharp together. You can't get a better color contrast than that.
I always give a little bio about the wood used with gifts I give, people find it interesting and it helps to educate folks. I don't know how many times I've had someone comment on how I dyed the individual strips in a cutting board :slap:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Those turned out really beautiful, Pete. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I also like the color contrast a lot. I've worked with purpleheart a few times but never yellowheart. I may have to try some out!

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice job Pete! And the pix suggest you used mineral oil for the finish????
The color combo is nice. I had the same experience as DaveO on mine. The recipient's brother examined it closely and asked how I painted the lines so straight :lol:

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful result, Pete!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

The contrast in the wood(s) is awesome! Someday, when I manage to go wood shoppin', I really would like to try a couple of those cuttin' boards.

Great gifts!

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, just oiled the boards right up. when I touched them with the oil, the color just jumped out! really pretty fun to watch.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
now I am going to have to read up and send a brief synopsis to everyone, as well as the proper care and feeding of their new cutting boards, looking forward to learning some more! :eusa_danc

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thursday last week was my first real opportunity to go wood shopping, without the CFO around. She would perhaps think I went a little overboard, but I did use my 10% on the non-wood stuff I got, doesn't that count for something????:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The old adage is: Oil them once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then occasionally after that. I always include that with my boards if only for the grins :-D :-D

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I got that, or at least a very similar question, too. "how did you get the colors???" :lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
that is what I am going to send out, seems there was a whole other litany of things, too. On Christmas Eve, when we did the family gift exchange thing, pressed to have 'something' on hand, I stopped by the pharmacy and picked up three 16 oz bottles of mineral oil. I passed them out after dinner, explaining that I wasn't concerned about everyone's gastric health, but that further explanation would have to wait. ;)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
that is what I am going to send out, seems there was a whole other litany of things, too. On Christmas Eve, when we did the family gift exchange thing, pressed to have 'something' on hand, I stopped by the pharmacy and picked up three 16 oz bottles of mineral oil. I passed them out after dinner, explaining that I wasn't concerned about everyone's gastric health, but that further explanation would have to wait. ;)

Now that was an extremely innovative "hedge on preparedness"!!!! :eusa_clap Well done, Pete!

Wayne

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Pete,
Those are some awesome cutting boards. We will have to make one of those for the smith job. That color is just awesome.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
on my next day off, I will be running to Raleigh to get more wood :) and hopefully over to Greenville for T-Man's jointer.
I like wood. especially purty wood. I like it when people ask silly questions about how the stripes got there :lol:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Unfortunately most of the general population knows a hand full of wood species. Like oak, cherry, pine, and the crap they say is on mass produced furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS