My bowl blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I thought about adding this to the current green turning thread but decided to start a new one. Please move it if necessary. Below are a couple of pictures of a maple blank I turned green on Monday. I was going to try the paper bag plan with it just to see how it works. It is about a 5" diameter bowl. Should I seal the bag? How do I know when it is sufficiently dry. I am guessing by weight. Should I open the bag occasionally. Does the size bag make a difference. I have a lot of wood from this tree so I may try other techniques, including turning one and finishing it green just to see how it warps. Any input will be appreciated.

Attachments

• blank1.jpg
    blank1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 208
  • blank2.jpg
    blank2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 214

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks like a really good start, I wish I good say that I've got that far with my green stock.
I think the purpose of the paper bag is to slow the movement of moisture from the bowl, so I would seal it. I have heard to use several and wrap it up tightly, occasionally changing out the one that contacts the wood.
I think to be totally sure it is dry weigh it occasionally and when it stops losing weight then it is dry. But you have to have a good scale to be able to tell that.
Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Try wrapping the bowl in a white cotton towel or big rag then put it in the bag. After 1 month change the towel for a clean dry one. Do this every month and you will notice the towel will be drier each time you do it. When that towel comes out dry your wood will be dry and ready to finish.

cskipper

Cathy
Good lookig start. What made you decide on using the dry in a bag method versus the others discussed?

gsdoby

New User
Gary
No great reason. Just thought I would give this method a try. I may try other methods with some other blanks and compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS