Mortising Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Today I went to Harbor Freight to look at their mortising machine model 35570. It was on sale from $169 reduced to $99. Now I usually won't buy a tool this expensive from their catalog with out giving it a through hands on and eyeball inspection.
I looked it over and it appeard to be OK for the price. It will not get heavy use in my shop, so I went for it.
Everything went together according to the instructions,(which are very poor) and all the listed parts were there. The only problem I had is there are two parts that are not on the parts list, and are not mentioned in the assembly or mortising instructions. I don't know what to do with them.
The two parts are a 1/2 in chuck and a mandrel or round shaft that is 5 1/2 inches long. it is 3/4 inches in diameter with a 7/16 diameter 1 inch long end on one end, and has a morris taper on the other. The taperd end fits perfectly into the 1/2 in chuck, as I would expect.
Now this is really great to have as extra parts, but I am wondering if they are really extra parts or is there something that I will need them for when doing some odd type of mortising job.
I have already cut a test mortise and it worked ok without using these extra parts.
Anyone have one of these mortising machines made by central machinery and sold at Harbor Frieght? Did you get these two extra parts also? Please respond if you have one of these machines, I have several other questions I would like to ask regarding the operation of this mortising machine. I'm just a babe in the woods here. I always cut my mortises by hand in the past and have no experience operating this beast.

Monty

New User
Monty
no idea about them "extras", but sounds like you got a usable machine for a great price! Only thing that comes to mind... maybe those parts are part of the fence adjustment or hold-down assembly?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This is probably a stupid question. That chuck you mention is in addition to the chuck that holds the bit and chisel assembly. If so it sounds like you may have got a bonus chuck. They probably packed it on a Friday:lol:
I would appreciate your reviews of the machine after using it a bit. That is a machine that I have debated getting or one for the drill press, and the HF is priced right for my wallet, so your opinions would be valued.
Dave:)

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Dave, I have only cut one mortise so far, just to see if I had the machine assembled correctly, and to see if I needed the two extra parts. It worked OK with out them.
One thing I did notice when installing the bit and chisel was that they were not of the best quality, and needed sharping right out of the box. Actually I sort expected that, but was thinking that when they needed replaced I would go for a better quality set.
I will keep you posted on how well I like the mortising machine when I get some shop time with it. May not be for awhile as i'm on a no mortice project right now. One other thing I noticed was that it takes a lot of pressure on the handle just to lower the bit. I'm talking "before you start to cut the mortice". Good thing I am 200 pounds or I might need some help. Maybe I can adjust the return spring to make it easier to operate.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Don't know if this helps, but my Delta Mortising attachment came with a straight shaft to be used for alignment from the drill chuck to the chisel holder -- yours sounds like it is made to fit into the tapered quill of the mortiser with the chuck removed until the chisel holder and it's split ring bushings are attached. Or, as suggested above, you may have a few extra parts!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I may not understand, but could the extra shaft & chuck be put together then the shaft end be tightened up in the mortising bit chuck so that you have a chuck below the head and can use it like a drill press???? Just a thought.....

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Randy, that's a very good thought. That would work as an extra drill press, but there is no mention in the very brief manual that came with it of such an application. I guess I should call Harbor Frieght Technical dept. and ask them what's the deal? I hope I get someone that speaks English!
PS: I already have 3 drill presses. A bench top, a radial, and a floor model for big jobs. Really don't need another one!

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I am like dave, definitely fits my wallet. I just want to make sure it doesn't eat you and burn down your house before I buy mine :slap:

as for your radial drill press, how do you like it? does it have any serious limitations that would keep it from being a good primary drill press? There's a grizzly model that's priced well that I was thinking about getting when I upgrade to a floor model. Just testing the waters is all right now

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
oh, also, did it come with more than 1 mortising chisel, and if so, how many/what sizes? Most projects I do involve a 1/4" to 3/8" mortise, so just making s ure it's gonna even be useful for me.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
m081779 said:
oh, also, did it come with more than 1 mortising chisel, and if so, how many/what sizes? Most projects I do involve a 1/4" to 3/8" mortise, so just making s ure it's gonna even be useful for me.

Yes it came with 3 mortising chisels, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 inch. As I mentioned earlier they are not the very best quality and appeared to need some sharpening right out of the box, but I think they will be OK until I need to replace them with a better set.
On the radial drill press. I don't see why you could not use it for anything that a normal drill press can do. I seldom use mine, except for building windsor chairs. They require many compound angled holes in the seat and back support. Don't know how I could get them all at the correct angle with out it. You still have to install a hinged table on the radial drill press to drill compound angles. Mine is a Craftsman 5 speed, 34 in bench top model that I bought about 15 years ago. There are probably better ones available today.
The floor model drill press is really a necessary tool for me. I would suggest that you get one with a large SQUARE table. Mine had the smaller round table and is really meant for a machinest. I added a 2 in thick wood square table on top of the metal round one, and it works much better for larger woodworking projects.

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO,

I'm currently testing the jet mortising attachement that came with the Jet 17 floor drill press. It might be better to go with dedicated mortiser. Todate, I've found the DP really isn't designed to handle the torque necessary for mortise chisels, but initial tests haven't posed a problem. As Mtnman mentioned, sharpening the chisels is an issue, because they require a cone shaped sharpener that costs $45. Unlike the Delta attachment, the Jet does not come with anything to assist in aligning attachment to spindle. Obviously it's important to have drill bit centered in chisel 8-O After talking with WMH techies, they admitted it's pretty much a trial and error process. :-? Also found the supplied fence to be limited in function and generally useless. My current drill press table setup is more flexible and holds the workpiece solidly. Soo, initial tests are satisfactory (since attachment was free), but setup is a PITA.

So please gives us another report Mtnman, after you've tested the HF for a while. And if anyone has suggestions on how to align Jet DP mortising attachment, please advise. To amplify the alignment problem, Jet uses a bolt and nut where collar attaches to spindle instead of a hex screw--therefore you need two wrenches and three hands to install :eusa_doh:

Sapwood

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Roger you are right about using the mortising attachment on the Jet DP. I mounted mine on my DP last week for the second time in the 4 years I've had the DP. It is a PITA to mount and line up and more of a PITA to keep the chisel from slipping up from the drill bit. I couldn't turn the thumb screew tight enough by hand and finally tighten it with pliers.:BangHead: I think this may be my last time to use it. I plan to make a mortising jig for the router one day. One good thing about using it, when I opened the dusty box I had it in I found two sets of new knives for my jointer I forgot I had. :BangHead: And I just bought a new set a few months ago.:eusa_doh:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Worked on the Jet DP mortising attachment this afternoon and had reasonably good success. Larger chisels (1/2") align more easily than the small ones. Also mounted their fence to a board that enabled to me utilize the hold down. However, the fence still has significant limitations sizewise.

Overall the PITA factor mitigates it's usefullness. If Mtnman's HF mortiser works out, I think it would be a better choice.

Sapwood

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Good thing I am 200 pounds or I might need some help. Maybe I can adjust the return spring to make it easier to operate.[/quote]

I assumed you know the chisel of the mortising machine should be about the thickness of a dime lower than the chisel-----both need to be sharp and the chisel needs to be parallel to the fence. The sharpness makes all the difference in the world in the amount of force needed to make the cut. Another thing I have found that helps is not trying to go the full depth on that first cut. Make alternate cuts either side of the initial cut and return to the initial cut and go a little deeper. Repeat those steps until you have reached full depth. Once you have reached the bottom at on spot you can make cuts next to it in one plunge. I usually start in the center of the mortise and work my way to each end but you could start at one end just as easily. It took a little time for me to figure out what worked best for me since I had never had a mortiser prior to the purchase of one.

Good luck with it-----Jerry:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Does anyone know harbor freight's policy on combining discounts? What I mean is that since the mortiser is on sale, could you also take an additional discount on top of the sale price? If so, then my "20% off any single item" coupon might get used...

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
m081779 said:
Does anyone know harbor freight's policy on combining discounts? What I mean is that since the mortiser is on sale, could you also take an additional discount on top of the sale price? If so, then my "20% off any single item" coupon might get used...

Yes, they accept the discount coupons on sale items.
ken

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Well, I called Harbor Frieght Technical Dept. I'ts really a mystery to me why they call it the " Technical Dept" because there is no one technical there, and I don't think the person that I talked to had ever operated or seen a mortising machine. After a long wait on the phone, I described the 2 extra parts that I received and explained that they were not on the parts list, and there was no explanation in the manual on what they were for.

He told me that they were there in case you wanted to use a smaller bit to mortise with.
I said, "Do you mean that you have to remove the other shaft and chuck and install the spare one?". He said yes. I said, where did you get that information? He said, in some notes he had.
After I hung up and thought about his answer, I realized that the chuck that was in there already, would adjust to a smaller size shank mortise bit. So that did not make sense.

Also I can't imagine a smaller size mortise than 1/4 inch which is one of the bits that is included with the machine.

I am inclined to agree with Randy (ozzie-x) that the extra shaft and chuck are to enable you to use the mortising machine as an extra drill press.

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Mtnman said:
After I hung up and thought about his answer, I realized that the chuck that was in there already, would adjust to a smaller size shank mortise bit. So that did not make sense.
:lol: Yea I'm with ya there.... however, I bet the length of that spare shaft is longer than the one in your machine, so you can use bits with shorter bits with your machine... pretty nice, actually. I wish my Craftsman had that option... only takes special bits with really long shanks -- the standard size bits are too short to fit in mine.

Check it out and see if that's the case... If'n I was you, I might consider making the swap and getting a set of nice Fisch bits for that machine. :icon_thum

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
That may be the answer if you want to use shorter bits, but I went and looked at it again, and it is a MAJOR job to change that shaft.
It looks like you would have to dis-assemble the whole motor housing. There is no access from the top to push the shaft out, and I can't find anything in the manual on how to do it. That does not surprise me though.
I'll have to think about it some more. Probably won't do any good to call them again!:BangHead: I told the 'tech rep' that I talked to that they needed to update their parts shipping list and users manual. I don't thing he appreciated it.:eusa_hand I really hope someone else buys one of these mortising machines and tells me what is inside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS