More Magnolia Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
There's just something about Magnolia that has really caught my attention. I suspect it's the creamy color of the wood with streaks of grey that appear randomly.

Last summer I was able to get some from a tree that was being cut at about the time my oldest son, a scientist received a promotion. So back then I decided to start roughing and drying a Mortar and Pestile that would decorate his lab bench. The drying's done and today the project was completed on a very windy and very cold carport.

See what you think.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010050-1.jpg
    P1010050-1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 158
  • P1010054-1.jpg
    P1010054-1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 130

dozer

Mike
Great job I like magnolia to I just have not had much luck finding any I want to turn some pens out of it.

JRD

New User
Jim
Mike,

Check out a Magnolia Pen/Pencil set in my album. It makes an interesting pen/pencil, especially if cut diagonally across the grain.

It's not that hard a wood and has the drawback of tearing out if you're not very carefull. To do pens, I've left a little extra diameter than I would before I normally start sanding, using the sand paper to cut the blank down to final size. Usually if I went too far with tools, I'd end up with a tear out.

Jim

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum WOW Jim that is awesome work. I love the look and finish :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap GREAT JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors