Moak 36" Bandsaw Restoration Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I've been hitting the band saw like there is no tomorrow between getting ready for China and crating the Shaper for it's trip to TX.

Here is how the saw sat after our moving party. It wasn't in too bad of shape, but needed some work.
normal_sawinside.jpg

I've stripped it totally down to the base casting and starting grinding and sanding. I've sent one piece off to Moak repair for brazing and have setup up a metal shop to make me a new lower door for the saw since it was badly bent and worn out in the middle.

I decided to go with a lighter color for this saw than the jointer. Talking with our maint. supervisor at work I found out that S&W epoxy paint is actually affordable $36/gallon. Looking through the color choices for S&W industrial paints I found two colors of blue I liked. I'm painting the main casting in the Polymer Blue and will paint the wheel covers with a much lighter blue to give it a two tone look. I also bought a gallon of safety yellow for the guards. Besides a new door I'm refabricating the blade guard on the throat side of the saw out of aluminum with a much narrower slot for safety.

For the power side of things I'm adding a drive, braking resistor, and line reactor to the saw so I can slow it down a little bit and electrically brake the saw instead of relying on the mechanical brakes. I should be able to stop the saw in less than 10 seconds with the electrical brake. The braking resistor boosts the braking torque up from 20% to 120%. The line reactor is used between the motor and drive since the motor isn't inverter duty to protect it from the high voltage buss of the drive. You should always do this when putting an inverter on a noninverter duty motor.

I'm really looking forward to getting this saw fired up. Here is how it looks with the S&W polymer blue epoxy paint.

normal_maincastingpainted.jpg

normal_maincastingpainted2.jpg

woodguy1975

New User
John
Looks nice, I was wondering about the green. :eusa_thin

Do you have room to let the top wheel go into the rafters/floor joists a bit? That could give you some extra adjustment on the blade. A piece of metal that long has to stretch quite a bit.

I do, but I won't need it. Fortunately the saw has 10" of travel. I'm going to run it with the saw around 8'2" tensioned. I have 8'3" ceilings so that will leave me with an inch extra. :) Max height for the saw is 8'4" if I ran 19.5' blades. I'm going to run 19' blades. Gee, those are going to be cheap! NOT!

J

jeff...

Man that thing is a beast :icon_thum When you gonna change your name to BandSawDude? (BSD for short) :lol:

M

McRabbet

John, that's a big change since I saw the Moak on Friday morning! Great progress and a major floor cleanup, too! I like the choice of colors -- it's coming along very nicely!

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Amazing progress John!
And a great color choice, sorta reminds me of Carolina Blue :lol: :lol:

Roger

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
John, The saw is really comming along. I thought you told me you were going to wait until you returned from China. I knew that was bull. Dino.

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, The saw is really comming along. I thought you told me you were going to wait until you returned from China. I knew that was bull. Dino.

I kept coming down the to the shop with the intent of working on the settee, but the bandsaw just kept calling. Finally I just put the settee over out of the way and gave into it. :) There is just something about old iron and restoration that just becomes addictive. It is dirty work, it isn't really much fun, but I just can't walk away from it. It must be knowing the potential of the machine and wanting to see it. :)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
John,

When is your China Trip? When are you comming back? Is the Rikon OK? Please take care of it.

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
John,

When is your China Trip? When are you comming back? Is the Rikon OK? Please take care of it.

John

John, your Rikon is safe and sound. I leave Friday and will be back March 22nd. Hopefully I'll have the Moak up and running soon after my return. :)

See ya,

John

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
John,

Have a good and safe trip.

J

You may want to think about not doing a GREAT job because they may want you back too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS