Mild Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
At the Greensboro show I was able to order a shelix head for my Delta 6" Jointer at 10 % off. Plus for $15 they threw in new bearings and preattached them:eusa_danc

The picture shows the head in place just after I discovered that I need to remove the jointer from its base to properly tighten down the new head in its carrier.:BangHead:

JointerShelix.jpg

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve that looks awesome. I hope to get an upgrade some day. :eusa_danc

I know you must be looking forward to using the new head. Please post a pic when you get it in "spin" mode!!

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been drooling over those for a long time.

That is a substantial gloat! Definitively meritous of SUCKAGE!

Curious, why do you have to take the jointer off the base? You got the old head off without doing that didn't you?

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
That looks just plain awesome!

I wouldn't want to have the blades sharpened very often... looks like it would be a nightmare to get them back in properly. (probably a trick to it, yes?)

Hope it works good for you.

J

jeff...

Steve, I know that is a significant upgrade, I'm sure your very happy with it.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That looks just plain awesome!

I wouldn't want to have the blades sharpened very often... looks like it would be a nightmare to get them back in properly. (probably a trick to it, yes?)

Hope it works good for you.

Those bits are carbide, and rather brittle. I find that on the 8 inch head in my jointer, I can lose one or two each time, in fact, each head is shipped with extra 'teeth'

The trick to turning the teeth is to have a toothbrush handy. One needs to brush the seat and bit to clean them up before reinstallation. If one fails to do this, wood will feel funny coming off the machine. Glassy smooth lengthwise, but rather ripply in cross-section. DAMHIKT!:BangHead:

Also, the teeth can break occasionally on the head, I tore a divot 1/4 inch deep on a piece of poplar I was using to test the setup on my 8" jointer. rather interesting effect. I still have that piece in the shop somewhere, to remind me to be patient when changing the bits.

FWIW, the bits are cheaper at Grizzly than at Wilke Machinery, by almost $1 per piece, so I saved a nice bundle when I ordered 50 of them for my jointer the other day. 8-O Glad there are usually four useable sides (chips on corners eat up a bit rather quickly.

OOOOHHHHHHH Boy do they make wood smooth!

BTW Steve, YOU SUCK!:eusa_danc

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Curious, why do you have to take the jointer off the base? You got the old head off without doing that didn't you?
There was barely enough room to get to turn the capture nuts off the hold down bolts. To put them back on is almost impossible without the removal. Maybe if I had thinner fingers:eusa_thin

Rick Orwig

New User
Rick
Steve, you will really appreciate the value of the cemented carbide inserts in the quality of finish and their longevity. There are 4 cutting sides on each insert so they last a long time compared to blades and are much more cost effective. I have Byrd heads in my planer and jointer and have not had to rotate any inserts yet. There are various grades of carbide that reduce the brittleness and increase the toughness as well as coatings that increase their life. As inserts were invented to cut various metals in lathe and milling applications in the 1930's they have only recently become popular in woodworking. Short of hitting a nail, the inserts should not find wood to be as near as challenging as cutting steel or other exotic metal alloys. I may research the use of other grades on carbide or the use of coated inserts if the brittleness is a problem. However the cost of coated inserts ($5 to $10 each) seems to exceed the benefit they would provide. Again congratulations on a cutter that will provide you with much satisfaction.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
in deeper reflection, the brittleness I experienced may be due to overtightening inserts that were not properly seated. Careful cleaning of the seat and the insert are important. The chips on the edges may have been caused when encountering bits of other inserts which broke???

How long have you had your Byrd heads, Rick, and what size planer?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
And by the way Grizzly is having a big sale on their own Index Spiral heads and also the Byrd Shelix heads- lowest prices I have ever seen on those- The 15" is $100 off!!!! I wonder if Brian at Holbren will price match on my 15" which hasn't shipped yet.

Joe, you don't sharpen the inserts. You rotate to another edge and when all four edges are dull- you throw them away. On the Byrd the geometry is critical since the inserts are angled- though they may look straight, the edges are actually curved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS