Meeting Place, Western NC WW Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Back in January, I posted a thread to solicit interest in forming a woodworking club to serve the western part of the state. Thus far, fifteen people have expressed interest and some of us think it is time to get together. This afternoon, I lined up an ideal location just outside of Asheville -- the Folk Art Center at mile marker 382 on the Blue Ridge Parkway (http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/location.php?location_id=3). I met with Tom Bailey, Managing Director of the Southern Highland Craft Guild (www.southernhighlandguild.org) and was pleased to hear that they would be happy to have a group like ours use the facility. As some may know, the Carolina Mountain Woodturners (http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/) meets at the Center once each month (in April, they meet the second Saturday; usually they meet the 3rd Saturday) and feature a nationally or internationally-renown turner at their demonstrations. The Center has a 270 seat auditorium and a separate conference room that are available FREE, but during the daytime only.

The purpose of this Thread is to solicit input for preferred dates -- we need to avoid the woodturners meetings, but for our first meeting, I suggest we use the conference room to begin our club formation process. We will have a program on Sharpening Hand Tools as well. Since most people work on weekdays (except for we retired folk), I suggest we try to meet on a Saturday -- here are some suggested times and dates for our first meeting (subject to availability of the space!)
(1) April 22nd, 10AM to Noon; (2) April 22nd, 1PM to 3PM; (3) May 6th, 10AM to Noon; (4) May 6th, 1PM to 3PM. In the long run, I think the second Saturday of the month would be best, since it avoids common holiday dates (4th of July, Labor Day, plus Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Please express your preference for one of these dates and time by Wednesday, April 5th -- I will reserve a meeting time that most closely meets the majority of returns by Noon on that date.

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for finding a great meeting place for us. The second Saturday is when the NC Woodturner's meet in Hickory so that wouldn't work for me. If it does for everyone else then go ahead and meet then. 4/22 WG is having one of his rocking chair classes. May 6th looks good and I would prefer the afternoon so we can be in the shop in the morning, but let me check with DH. Looking around the calendars it appears that the 4th Sat. may be best.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Thanks for coordinating this Rob and the Folk Art Center will be a great place for the meeting. The other groups and folks around there may also prove to be good resources and more potential membership for our "local" group as well as NCWW. Sounds like 5/6 is looking best so far. The afternoon time is my preference.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I'm tied up with the rocker class, so would have to echo the 5/6 date. I would also prefer the afternoon time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors