Maybe building a deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have recently aquired a house and there is a room on one side where the water damage is extensive from rain damage. I was thinking maybe tear down the room and build a deck instead. My problem is trying to figure the cost I am new at this project esitimater kind of stuff and dont want to go over budget.. The deck will be 20L X 10W 16" spacing on the joist. flat on the groung on one end and 38" high on the other and attached th the house on one of the 20' sides. So where do I go from Here?:nah:

Thanks Mark

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I know that 84 lumber here has people who will come out and do the measuring and figure up a material list. As said Lowes has the online estimator. Other lumber suppliers may have something similar. Steve

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Let me understand this. You bought a house that is severely damaged by rain. You want to tear down one of the rooms on this house and construct a deck. Am I correct?

I guess the smartaleck question would be, can you post pictures? Usually, you really don't want to trade indoor living space for a deck. The deck usually gets added to the back/side of a house. :icon_scra

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The deck will be 20L X 10W 16" spacing on the joist. flat on the groung on one end and 38" high on the other and attached th the house on one of the 20' sides. So where do I go from Here?:nah:

Thanks Mark

Mark I don't know about code in your part of the state but here in the middle a deck's rim band must be above grade. The rim band is at minimum a 2x8 so the lowest you can go with a deck is about 12" above grade.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mark,

My first question is, are you doing all of this yourself? If so, then it's cost of materials and I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay for a building inspection. Keep in mind that you'd have to demolish a room and get rid of that debri, then repair the water problem (if it still exists), then build a new wall, then build a deck. That is not cheap, even if you do it yourself. Pictures and more details would be really helpful. Good luck! :icon_thum

Trent

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
NoI didnt buy a house with water damage my oldest has lost her job and moved in with bf. Dad pot 10K wort of 401k into this house now trying to salvage what I can. Its not really living space some time ago a bumpout was done on the house to enclose a porch and make kind of like a sun room. Roof leaked for years now rot has set in, down the wall and into the floor. previously hidden by a wordrobe. To fix the wall and the floor would be way more than i got time for so that is why the deck ideal has surffaced.(mat end up more like a popch wita a place for a grill i Think)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you saying that it once was a deck that was later enclosed and you now want to make a deck again?

If the room shows on the tax rolls you will need a demolition and or building permit. I would check with the local building dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors