Matching stain on stair treads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I am currently trying to match the stain on the treads I just put down in my house. Here's what's going on:

1. I decided to prefinish the stair treads before I put them down. I used rustolum classic cherry oil based from lowes btw with oil based poly on top.

2. I countersunk screws and pegged the holes. Then sanded to bare wood.

3. Using the same stain I have gone over the spots a few times but only a few have matched well. Cleaned with mineral spirits between coats.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Ryan
20151005_161956.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=78853

ehpoole

Ethan
First, this is not my greatest area of expertise, so hopefully you will get further answers soon.

The issue is that you have already sealed off the wood pores so they will no longer absorb new stain, whatever you apply is essentially stuck on the surface and can go no further (which can also result in a weak clearcoat if applied over top of the loosely adhered stain residing on the surface). You may need to resort to a tinted finish to try and improve the match, but I am uncertain how well that will work with the existing surface so splotchy, but it would work well if the entire tread were sanded back down uniformly.

Hopefully someone will have a better solution for getting a color match without building up extra thickness that may show through the clearcoat (especially if a gloss or semi-gloss, which are less forgiving that satin).

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hello Ryan
I think I might have your solution after you answer a question. What finish did you apply after the oil based stain? In general, you have to get rid of the "sealed in" blotch to begin coloring again. If its polyurethane, you have a fight on your hands but it can be done.

I'll hold till you post your response.

Dan

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If its polyurethane, you have a fight on your hands but it can be done.

+1 and I'll defer to Dan's expertise. I have a few observations from my reading of your original post.

1. Stained the new stair treads and then top coated with Varathane polyurethane before installing the treads on the risers. Correct?

2. I countersunk screws and pegged the holes. Then sanded to bare wood.
Just in spots around the plugs, not the entire stair tread?

3. Using the same stain I have gone over the spots a few times but only a few have matched well. Cleaned with mineral spirits between coats.

Is that your body shadow in pic #1?

but only a few have matched well.

So how many matches/mismatches do you have in this restaining project?

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
1. You are correct I stained and poly'd the treads before putting them down.

2. I sanded only around the plugs.

3. Yes that is my shadow, I'm not a great photographer.

4. I have about 2 dozen I guess that don't match.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Ryan
Here's some information that might be helpful for you to make the decision on which way you want to go to resolve this trouble.

1. You have a color and you have light blotches on your steps. The oil based stain was NOT sealed before you applied another oil based product/varnish that dissolved the stain in spots as the mineral spirits evaporated.

2. The defined circles stand out and they are obvious as you can tell already. The object of your fix will be to get rid of those defined circles.

You have to get thru the urethane to get rid of the circles. Some will say sand it back. I would say don't.

I would get some Klean strip and try one spot this way.

Apply the liquid and let it begin to soften the varnish. Once it begins to soften the varnish rub is back with 3m pads(maroon is good) or steel wool with rubber gloves on your hands. As it cuts into the surrounding areas it will diminish the dramatic lines of the circle. It will not be a perfect color match but now you don't have stark circle lines.

Let it dry overnight. Come back with some stain and see how it takes to the surface. If its close and you're happy, take some clear dewaxed shellac and seal it. If you want to blend more color in apply it over the shellac and let it dry over night. Seal again with shellac if you are happy. Now you can varnish over the repaired area. This is one way to blend the color back in the steps in layers and be done with the circles.

Remember, you can not get rid of the circles till you cut thru the varnish. Its better to use solvents than start sanding and creating more trouble.

Good Luck
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS