Maple Workbench (Two Country's Two State's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello fellow WW’rs!

Its been a while since I have posted anything and I just wanted to let you see my latest project that I have completed. I purchased the wood for this bench from Wall Lumber in NC. It went to Hope Mills and was started there, I went to Fort Gordon for school and it followed me there to work on it some more (a nice guy let me use his shop), after school I received orders for Germany. Once the house-hold/tools/wood/partially completed supplies arrived I worked on the bench. Comments are are always welcome. I would like to thank WoodWrangler for his help on vice placement. Thanks for looking and have a blessed day.​

DSCF0945.JPG

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thanks SAP! The real bummer is that I will be able to use it some the month before I deploy and then the year after when I get back. And to top it off I had it done before the deadline for this years calender but I was in the field and couldn't get pictures, ohh well I get to use it now so thats whats important.

M

McRabbet

Superb bench, Michael -- I like the way you made a strong base that can be knocked down easily for transport and the spinner knob on the Veritas Twin Vice is the Bee's Knees! Great work -- it will serve you well. May your deployment be safe and secure -- we are honored to have you in our fold and we will all be thinking of you in your selfless service to us all.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
That is one nice bench, Michael. Every man needs a vice, and I am glad you have two vises. :gar-Bi

Dragon

New User
David
OUTSTANDING workmanship there!! Best of luck on your deployment and many thanks for your service to our country. Be safe, keep yer head down, and may any incoming be far off target. I wanna see some completed projects when you get back home.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fine looking bench with plenty of heft to boot!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bet it will stay put regardless of how hard you plane or pound on it. I really like the ability to break it down for your moves.

Stay safe out there. I have missed reading your posts!

Thanks for all you do for us Stateside.

Take care, Michael!

Wayne

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Michael,

That is one fine bench, or as my Dad would always say, "Purdy work" If I got that statement it was his highest praise. So I pass that on to you. May God keep an eye on you while you ar edeployed and take care of you and yours.

Take care of yourself and keep well,

James

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I like your bench very much.:eusa_clap
Did you use any plan for it?
Thanks,
CHO

Thanks everyone for the comments! It will be a benefit that I can break the base down when I move and crate the top so the movers don't mess it up.

Unimog- I used a couple different plans for this and then made the whole thing in sketch-up before I started. It helped out a lot doing it that way.

Sorry the pics didn't come out so well, but I have to tell you I like the twin screw vise and the quick release vise on the end. WoodWrangler I am glad that I took your lead on that one!:icon_thum

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Nice

Nice bench. I made a very similar one out of oak. I found that adding a vise on on both ends was very helpful, especially since I am left handed. I still haven't drilled all of the dog holes. I have the veritas hold down and am just not sure all of the holes are needed.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael, that is some wonderful bench. You did yourself proud. Take care my friend and get safe.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Re: Nice

Nice bench. I made a very similar one out of oak. I found that adding a vise on on both ends was very helpful, especially since I am left handed. I still haven't drilled all of the dog holes. I have the veritas hold down and am just not sure all of the holes are needed.

Guy- I was apprehensive about drilling the holes in the top too. Before I glued up the top I used Google Sketch-up for a rendered drawing to scale. I found out the best place to drill the holes and if they would interfere with any of the base or vice rails. I think it turned out well though; a 3/4in spade bit was all that was used.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
You did a great job Michael. That's a bench that will passed down a generation or two. It took a while but it was worth the wait. Good luck on your upcoming deployment.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Great job Michael !

I think that the Veritas makes a great face vise, and you did a wonderful job on the break down set-up. I did notice that you decided not to go with a fold up version as I know you were researching them, I think in the end you'll be much happier with the version that you made even if it takes up a little more room than you'd like.

Best of luck with it.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful workbench, Michael!:icon_thum Thank you for your service to our country. Keep safe and we will be waiting for your return.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice indeed!! Having moved around allot myself courtesy of Uncle Sam, I know how important break-down capability is. Ain't SketchUp nice. There are much better CAD programs out there, but for the majority of what I do, it is great. I used it for the base on my adjustable bench, but never drew up the top so I had to do a lot of pencil, ruler, and straight edge work to layout the dog holes in my bench so I wouldn't hit anything!

Like many people say about new benches- "Your's is too nice to work on!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS